User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone! new here and a few q's.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi everyone im new here and would like to ask just a few questions about my VFT's that i recently got from WalMart about 2 wks ago.

1. They deffinately wernt in any sun while at WalMart, they were in a dark shaded area.
    2. I know they were waterd with city water and Cadillac is known for having a extremly high chlorine/floride and other chemicals, you can smell a bleachy smell from a good distance when water is running from a faucet in that town.
    3. Whatever it is there potted in looks pretty rank, "like the cow manure we use for our gardens, no perlite or sand in the potting mix from what i can see.
    4. Hardly any dead traps or leafs, i trimed off what 2 dead traps there were and cleaned some of the crud away from the leafs/traps.
    5. I have waterd with distilled water and also set all 4 of them up inside a glass house terrairium that i plan on fixing up for them, it has foil back and sides and also a 15watt soft white and a 15 watt grow light above them, they are still in there original pots and i have deep caps under them with tiny amount of distilled water they sit in plus under the deep caps i have spag moss on the bottom of the terrairium thats in 1 inch of water, each seperate pot has alot of traps and each pot 3 diffrent traps got flies. I do not prod or poke the traps just for fun as i think thats just wrong making them close for the heck of it.

Now my question is, do i take and repot with the right potting mix for the VFT's and get them rinsed off with distilled water?? Or do i leave them in what there in now??
    Should i make sure they go thru a dormancy?? Or do i wait since they went thru so much from where they were shiped from to WalMart and so forth it has to have been very stressful on them.
    My windows do get light but prob is im totaly in the woods way outa town and the trees block the sun most of the day. So untill the trees are totaly bare theres no sun commin thru my windows for the VFT's. I will get pics tomarrow of the VFT's and how i have them set up and post it in this thread..
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] I thank you all for your time and any info help you give.. This is a really wonderful site...
    THANK YOU!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Barracuda 45! Welcome! I think you're on the right track! I would rinse and repot in plain (no fertilizer) Canadian sphagnum peat. And I would give them dormancy--it will probably help their stress IMO more than hurt them. Keep them in the coolest place you have, just damp until March. Then I would use artificial lights as supplement if you plan on growing indoors, but better will be outdoors in full sun. If you want to try growing first just until next season, I would use the artificial lighting.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,

I'm fairly new as well, so I'd take the experienced folks' word over mine...but I've read that repotting VFTs is very stressful on their roots. If they seem to be doing fine, really no point in repotting them and risk causing them all that stress.

sarracenia.com has a whole section on whether to repot or not.

good luck!
    -Emily

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the odds of two people new to the forum showing up on the same topic? Welcome to TF!

Repotting is a good idea when the soil media is determined to have become poisoned or infested. It is also good to do when the plant(s) are too crowded. It really should be done as a last resort or after a year or two in the same medium or when the plant is dormant/asleep, and doesn't know any better.

As far as the actual move is concerned, there is potential for stressing the plants and their roots systems, but it can be minimized by doing it when dormant (which is not now) or by preparing a larger container, with fresh media, and creating a depression in it, to acommodate the plant and its media. If the originaly media isn't a detractor, it is best to remove the media and plant as one unit and place in the created depression and then water it well to help blend the two media.

Oh, and Sarracenia.com is an excellent site for CP care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JBL, Presto and jimscott for the warm welcome and info, i was only wondering about repoting due to the fact they was waterd with strong bleachy city water plus stuff they have came in dont look to well not like the mix i made up of Canadian sphagnum peat& Perlite plus i choped up/cut up real fine some schultz green moss and added that to the potting mix as well and moistend alittle of the mix to see how it would look, it looks nothing like what the VFT's are in now mine looks a whole lot better. I have not transplanted them yet nor done anything other than set them up in a temp terrarium with good lighting and waterd them well from the bottom of there pots with distilled water and sat them on wet spag. Which this morn i noticed i have to add more water to there bottom trays and more water in the bottom spag. The temp terrarium is at 68% degrees right now and i can open both ends of the terrarium for air circulation. My girlfriend brung her VFT over because she noticed it was dying and not doing very well it had just as many traps on it as mine when she got it so she gave it to me and i dont think its gona make it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Poor VFT... I took some pics of this temp housing setup and gona resize um and load um to photobucket and post um so you can see how i have them set up for right now, you will also see the big diffrence in my 4 compared to her VFT she gave me to care for.. This is just a temp housing for now since i have no sunlight comming thru any of my windows just normal light till all the trees around my house lose there leafs for winter. Im gona be working on a 50 gal bog/woodland terrarium with a small waterfall and will post pics of my design, i wont plant anything in it till its up and done and everyone sees it and tells me what they think.
    But for now i was just wondering do i take the chance and repot to one size larger pot with new good potting mix or leave them in the crap there in thats full of chemicals from city water?? There is NO fertalizer in the potting mix i made and i only use distilled water. I shall return to post pics..
    Thanks everyone!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your girlfriend's VFt is probably going dormant.

Repotting does the plant no harm and they can easily take it at any time of year. Your plant could be sitting there right now in chlorine and salt filled peat - I'd repot!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Alvin Meister, how do i go about geting um outa the pot and carefully transplanting them? Should i cut the side of the pot carefully and then slip um out that way and then very carefully take most the old potting mix away from the bulb as much as possible without getting to close to the roots or bulb then carefully place into the new potting mix and pot?? I surely dont want to hurt the poor VFT's in any way. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I just know in my heart the new potting mix and pots will help them more than the crud there in now.. Im glad everyone here is so helpful.. Thank you Tons!!!!!!
    Heres a few cruddy pics my digi cam is a cheesy cheapo sorry there blurry.. I know i know cruddy set up but its only temporary, i can prop open each end of the top at the same time or one at a time if i need to and also turn off one light or both, you can see how poorly the one in the middle is that my girlfriend had, it has very poor color while mine are very nice in color and have new traps growing.
    first up both lights on and how i have it set up.

next alittle closer view,

one light off door proped open foil fliped up,

and another view one light off door closed again.

Heres what 2 of them looked like when i first got um, and now they have more new traps and nice color,

www.nmacdt.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, this is much more aesthetic than my "ghetto look" at the lab! (Alexis left the building and I happen to be online right now).

Anyways, what I do to repot into a larger container is simply to use a plastic spoon and gingerly extricate the entire contents out as one unit and place into the larger pot, making sure I have added some media to the larger pot first and allowing for the "plug" to fit in comfortably. Then I water from above to help merge the two media and close the gaps. This minimizes root disturbance.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast