Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dormant i hope..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

This will be my first dormancy experience...I think I just need a little hand-holding! I'm nervous.

One of my plants is starting to blacken in a few spots...I can't decide if it's going dormant or getting sick for no apparent reason.
    It did recently have a cricket meal that didn't sit well (the darn thing crawled halfway out of the trap) and that head is turning black understandably.

I'm in New England. Are any other folks in NE starting to see their plants go dormant?

(my vfts are in a window, btw. I moved them in from outdoors because it was windy and rainy last week)
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my plants have been blackening off during the last two weeks. Your plant will be getting ready for dormancy.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way of posting a picture of your plant, just to see if there IS a problem or not? But yes, VFT's are in the process of dormancy. Is your plant being kept outside or inside, in a terrarium or on a window sill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in new england but I grow my plants under lights so I don't have much experience with natural dormancy. You said it was growing on a windowsill--if the window is poorly insulated then it may be experiencing the shorter days and cooler nights we're having and so may be going into dormancy. Having both a temperature drop and lower light levels puts a plant into a quicker (and better) dormancy than one or the other alone.

However, a pic would help distinguish between this and disease or simple leaf turnover.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic.

as you can see there are some new traps still growing.
    this turning brown has just happened in the past week or so.

And it is being kept on a westward-facing windowsill right now.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry about the humungous picture

-Emily
    -Emily

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like its going dormant to me. You will start to see the new leaves/traps are considerably shorter than you are used to, and they will tend to lay flat to the soil. Scottychaos has a very good description of how to do the "fridge method" of dormancy, complete with pictures, somewhere in the General Discussions area I believe.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 18 2005,7:23)]sorry about the humungous picture

-Emily
    Sure... and I pick this time to use the pc at home - dial up connection.... 10 minutes later... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Hey, the plant looks just fine for mid-October. You shoulda seen mine after I removed them from the butter keeper! The had this, "death warmed over" look to them. But a few months later I had flowers.

Yes, Mr. Chaos has a real good decription of how to do fridge dormancy, minus sharing space with Shedd Spread [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast