Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

I fed my VFTs a whole bunch of ladybugs yesterday that were sitting on my deck. Today I went down to take a peek and found this. What happened:

It only occured on 2 out of the 14 fed traps.

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not the best critter to feed VFT's. Check this topic out:bad bugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh. My Venus Flytrap just caught what appears to be a pillbug yesterday. It doesn't seem to be showing any signs of rot, and I sure hope it doesn't. I read on sarracenia.com that it isn't smart to have the Venus Flytrap feed during the winter months, and that doing so will likely cause the trap to rot. Is this true?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found pillbugs to be a problem, though. They're intended to be dormant, so feeding isn't necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Jim,

I'll steer clear of those little buggers in the future.

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need! VFTs can eat any insect. The digestive juices get in through weaknesses in the armour and digest the insides. You get rot with about 10% of trap captures anyway and as long as the insect isn't too big for the trap, they'll eat anything.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladybugs eat aphids. Nuff said.

Vfts do much better with soft body insects. Compared to hard body bugs such as ladybugs, pillbugs, beatles, and such. During primetime (summer) I always have one trap feeding all the time.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im gona have to agree that certain prey items are poisonous to the VFT traps and that certain prey can bite or chew on the inside of the trap causing it to indeed turn black/rot/die off. Lady bugs are natorious for bitting and also they are toxic. Thats why birds dont kill off the lady bugs due to not only being toxic but there colors surves them well as a indicator dont eat me it will make you sick. Alot of bugs/capatpillers/moths and other insects are like that. But seeing how VFTs cant see and or know whats bad for them it gets um in the long run when they feed upon such prey. If a bug can bite or chew the inside of the trap when its closed its doing damage to that part of the plant so naturaly the plant will die off in that section and could cause the rest of the trap/ not the plant to die off turn black. Just my 2 cents worth, mine get tiny tiny wax moths/ freez dried bloodworms and mostly flies no probs here.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast