Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mutant traps on x paradisia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday, I recenty bought a D. muscipula x paradisia and noticed that it has a few mutant traps:

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before (I assume it woudn't be that rare).

Also I just triggered the trap with it's inner hairs (on the smaller part of the trap and the whole thing closed. Not sure if it would actually form a seal and digest an insect but I have stuck a small fly in it and with any luck it won't escape. Will tell you how it goes...

Cheers,
    Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trap is really kewl looking
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it's currently flowering so I would like to grow some from it's seed and see if there are some that are more mutated than this one. Does anyone know if I need to pollinate it with another plant to get viable seed or can I just do it from flower to flower on this one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty sure you can pollinate it with itself
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow a trap within a trap thats really cool looking. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Great pic to!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks man. It looks like they can digest insects - it has closed and formed a seal, though there is a very small hole at the corner where the inner trap joins but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. The flowers are producing alot of pollen, unlike my other VFts so hopefully I will get alot of seed from it. It would be great to cultivate a strain where all the traps were mutated! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I could name it after myself too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mutated traps are always interesting but I doubt the trait will be enhanced much in the following generation- definitely worth a try though.

I see you are from Melbourne, so am I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the bigger trap closes and it digests the smaller trap, would it be called a vegetarian carnivous plant....makes you wonder [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast