User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Temp finally fell to 30

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Wisconsin and today I woke up and it was snowing. I went outside and it was freezing. I checked the temp and it was 30. My plants look real bad and they were kinda frozen. Someone told me that they need to freeze a couple times before I bring them in so they would know and prepare themselves. What should I do now? Leave them out a little bit longer or bring them in? I don't see it getting warmer, only colder from here on out. I was trying to wait until thanksgiving but that's like eight more days. Can they handle eight more days of 30? Let me know what you guys think.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freezing temps aren't the problem for flytraps most of the time. A flytrap buried in snow will survive (apparently, from what I've seen and read - we don't get snow that sticks very long where I live.) It's the cold, dry wind that is really harmful; when it's cold and windy the plants get dehydrated. Bring them in or cover them with a tarp if it's getting dry and windy outside. Here's a guide for CPs in zones 3-5 that should be useful.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JMurphy97, im not in wisconsin but close enough and its in the low teens here with the wind chill factor and we are getting slamed with snow and super winds. My VFTs are'nt outside there inside so i cant help ya there but everyone here has tons great advice and info..
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in native N. Carolina, the plant experiences freezes - every winter. They survive. But you can always put them in a fridge or garage or attic, if it's cold enough, without being consistently freezing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why take a chance? There is a difference from a vft in a pot and a vft in the ground. The vft in the pot will freeze much harder then the one in the ground. I would stick them in the refrig to be safe.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my VFTs sat in temps of -4C (25F) last night and it's going to get colder tonight. VFTs can take -15C (5F) and lower. Snow insulates them and only harsh freezing wind seems to be harmful.
    Keep them sheltered and they'll be fine for 8 more days. he only thing to remember is do not bring them straight inside into the warmth when they are frozen. They will thaw too quickly and turn to mush.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night it was 30f but the winds were very bad. The wind chill brought it down to -6f. The snow was only 0.03in so it really wasn't snow if you know what I mean. Well anyways I brought them in and put them right in the fridge. The soil was frozen solid and the plants looked pretty bad. Although I think the soil is beginning to unfreeze in the fridge because as you know it is above 32f.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list