What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds

I want a plant with a bunch of traps. If I plant like 20 seeds in a pot will that happen or will it grow as if I only planted 1 seed?

What? If you plant 20 seeds and all germinate and survive, you will have 20 plants. If 5 germinate and survive, you will have 5 plants. If 1 germinates and survives, you will have 1 plant. If none of the seeds germinate, you will have no plants even if you sow 1000 seeds. The number of traps in a pot depend on the number of plants and the maturity of each plant.

LOL
smile_n_32.gif

What I'm saying is would there be a difference if I plant all 20 seeds or if I plant only 1 seed. I want a venus flytrap that will have a bunch of traps not just 4 or 5.

If you get a plant with only 4 or 5 leaves hold onto it, it could make giant traps. The plant will send its energy into a few traps not into making many traps and the plant has better potential for large traps. Many traps are found in clumping forms (clumping forms make many baby plants side by side and continuing growing close together like one plant).

I am having difficulty understanding your question. Are you asking about the number of traps on a single plant or the number of traps in a pot containing multiple plants?

The number of traps on single plant depends on the growth rate and maturity of the plant. As the plant matures (about 3 years after the seed sprouts), the rhizome divides producing multiple crowns (growing points). These can be separated into individual plants. If left together, the result after several more years is a large clump of plants with many traps.

The same crowded condition can be developed by planting your 20 seeds in the same pot. After about 3 years these plants will become mature, begin to divide, and form a large crowded clump of plants in the pot.

I often sow several hundred seeds in a single pot, then a year later tediously separate the seedlings into about 10 plants per pot, and the third year separate those into one plant per pot.

With good conditions and enough time, most pots of VFTs will come to look something like that. VFTs naturally produce new plants by budding every now and then, so even if you started with just one plant in the pot, it could eventually fill the pot with growing points. Planting multiple plants in one pot will also acheive this goal. I think, though, that the best choice would be to seek out a cultivar (a certain breed of VFT) or clone which forms clumps, like zappafan pointed out. These plants have been bred specifically to grow in the manner you're referring to. A wide selection of clones and varieties can be found at Best Carnivorous Plants. This is probably the fastest, and most certain, way to get a nice, crowded pot of VFTs. I think the D, F, M, and Y series varieties look the most like what you've described.
Best luck,
~Joe

That's all in Euro prices and they want you to buy tons of plants. I'm only looking for a couple.

Back