Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red piranha vft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can a red piranha VFT be produced from a seed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Apparently that name can apply to any all red plant with short teeth. There seems to be a delicate upright clone in circulation as well as a more robust clone.

From seed you will mostly get typical green VFTs. You will have to sow a lot of seeds and look out for red ones with potential.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. Someone told me that you can't so I thought I would ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Nov. 22 2005,4:42)]From seed you will mostly get typical green VFTs. You will have to sow a lot of seeds and look out for red ones with potential.
    Not entirely true. From a selfing of a Red Piranha I sowed 150 or so seed and every single plant is pure red with short dentate-like teeth. Some are even purple-black. Not a single green plant was produced. Maybe I was just lucky, but I figure that 150 out of 150 is a pretty high percentage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never sowed any red VFT seeds, so I'm just posting the accepted wisdom.

It would be great to see a photo - I would love to see loads of little red seedlings! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you sow them? Inside or outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my vft seed are sown in trays and placed outside for a natural stratification period of several months. When the seed begin to germinate...usually around February/March, I place the trays in the greenhouse where they are grown on.

Alvin, I respect the accepted wisdom, but whoever is publicising this data has probably never conducted enough true controlled growth comparisons. I have on many, many occasions. I have grown out several hundreds of seed of selfings of Red Piranha, Green Dragon, and Red Dragon. In each instance I obtained seedlings that were as close to the parent's color and form attributes as one could get. The only difference I was able to detect in these seedlings was with the Green Dragon. Although all of them were very red there were many that had varying shades of red in the petioles and traps. The Red Piranha and Red Dragon all produced pure red seedlings.

I truly believe that growing conditions help contribute to the outcome of the plant's form and color. I grow all of my plants in extremely bright light. Being in central California really helps with this. I would love to show photos of my experiments but I do not have a digital camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Alvin, I respect the accepted wisdom, but whoever is publicising this data has probably never conducted enough true controlled growth comparisons. I have on many, many occasions. I have grown out several hundreds of seed of selfings of Red Piranha, Green Dragon, and Red Dragon. In each instance I obtained seedlings that were as close to the parent's color and form attributes as one could get. The only difference I was able to detect in these seedlings was with the Green Dragon. Although all of them were very red there were many that had varying shades of red in the petioles and traps. The Red Piranha and Red Dragon all produced pure red seedlings.
    Well you can't argue with experience! People say VFTs don't hybridise in the same way as say sarracenia, but for example I have some upright plants x low growing ones and they've turned out vertical growing, but with short petioles. Seems like a 50/50 hybridisation to me.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast