What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting VFT seeds

What r the best conditions for vft seeds to grow? Also, what subtrate? I hvae two places but am sure can make more. First my terrarium with 70% humidity and has 1 100watt flurecent compact bulb. My windowsill has about 30%-40% humidity and almost full sun. Plz tell me what you think

I think vfts do better when they are not in a terrarium. If you have a window with full sun then that is probably the best place to grow them. I would grow them on a mix of 50:50 peat and sand. If you prefer you can use 100% peat or 100% LFS they work just as well.

I dont hav a window with full sun. I dont even think I hav one with 60% Ill try to find one. How do I know that it has full sun?

If your windows face South or south-west, and get the sun for several hours each day that will be good enough.

OK ill try to look for one but wat kind of results will I get from growing a terrarium?

Terrarium growing with poor ventilation will net you all kinds of really neat VFT killing molds and fungus'. Terraria may be a must in some areas, but where you are in New Jersey, you just need the open windowsill with about 3 or 4 hours of sun, when sun is available. Don't worry about the amount of sun they are getting right now. But when spring comes, give them all the sun you can, and grow them outside.

Back