What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too early

I put my vfts nad other North American species into the garage on Thanksgiving but they were still alive and only just starting to die off. Did I put them in too early? Should I put them back outside until they hav completly died off?

Your plants wont die off completely. Usually the longer oldest leaves will blacken and die off but you will be left with a rosette of smaller leaves and traps which will remain healthy looking right through dormancy. Your plants should have stopped producing new leaves and traps, if they have, they are dormant. It is certainly not too early, they should have been going into dormancy from roughly the start of this month. Leave them where they are now until the spring, it doesn't do them a lot of good to keep changing their growing conditions.

OK thats good news. Thanks. The long traps r dieing off and they arent growing any more traps so they must be dormant. Thanks!

I have stuck my vfts in the refrig after Thanksgiving for the past 3 year and wake them up around end of Febraury.

Back