User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dormancy Temp question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temperature around here during the day is about mid 60's and it gets to around 50's or a lil below during the night.

My flytraps dont look like they are going into dormancy in these conditions so do I just uproot them and stick them in the fridge in a tuperware? Or should I adjust them to the colder temps of the fridge? Finally the only fridge I can put em in keeps the temp at 57 is this cold enough? Its a coca-cola mini fridge.....put it in there or in the fridge with my food?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    57 is still a bit too warm. Is there anything else that can get the temp down to ~40? In nature, they experince below freezing, just to give ya an idea of what they need and can handle. Mine are in a fridge, as is, in a mini-bog, with several temperate Drosera & American pitcher plants. Maybe a friend can acommodate them for the winter? Two years ago I kept mine, which were in their original pot, right in the butter keeper. It may not have impressed my family members, but the plants didn't complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stick mine in the refrig for about 3 months. I wonder if I could buy premix wet soil for transplanting. I am 0-9 transplanting vfts now. Although I have one vft that is 3 going on 4 years but never transplanted it. Ok, enough...I agree with Jim too.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People keep VFTs outdoor year round in subtropical cities of Southern California San Diego, Fallbrook, and Ventura. Temps here don't go below 45-50 much in the winter and are ususually int the mid 60's to low 70's in the winter. I live a bit more inland but my highs are still in the high 60's and 70's while my lows are in the lower 40's to high 30's. When you mentioned 57-65 for a late autumn day, I thought that was more than the plant could ask for a dormancy temperature. As long as light levels are reducing and tempertures are cooling off you don't have to fridge your VFT. I once was all fussy about fridge dormancy but now I don't see the need, knowing my climate is perfectly suitable.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Dec. 03 2005,11:36)]People keep VFTs outdoor year round in subtropical cities of Southern California San Diego, Fallbrook, and Ventura. Temps here don't go below 45-50 much in the winter and are ususually int the mid 60's to low 70's in the winter. I live a bit more inland but my highs are still in the high 60's and 70's while my lows are in the lower 40's to high 30's. When you mentioned 57-65 for a late autumn day, I thought that was more than the plant could ask for a dormancy temperature. As long as light levels are reducing and tempertures are cooling off you don't have to fridge your VFT. I once was all fussy about fridge dormancy but now I don't see the need, knowing my climate is perfectly suitable.
    NICE!! Texas has weather like that right now [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] 30's at night 50's-60's in the day. It's so cool that I dont have to worry about dormancy for any of my plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Rail
    My life sucks