What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Is there a such thing as too mild a winter for VFT's? The temp has dropped in to the mid 30's only a couple of times. Tomorrow highs will be in the 80's. I keep checking Wilminton, NC weather and it is not much different. Do you think if this keeps up, will my VFT's get the right amount of dormancy?

Where do you live? Sounds extreme. If temps going up to the 80's in the winter happens once in a while, then sure your plants could take it. Where are you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there a such thing as too mild a winter for VFT's? The temp has dropped in to the mid 30's only a couple of times. Tomorrow highs will be in the 80's. I keep checking Wilminton, NC weather and it is not much different. Do you think if this keeps up, will my VFT's get the right amount of dormancy?

Hahaha! Oh man, we've been getting BLARING sun until about a week ago. We've gotten a couple days of rain, but it's been mostly sunshine. Don't worry about it, if you've got reduced photoperiod then you shouldn't worry. I've notived that all my plants are proceeding in to dormancy despite the hot days.

There are VFTs in Hosford, but your location is quite a lot further south I think. I would consider fridge dormancy mid Dec until early March.

Actually you are almost directly east of there. I live about 3 hours further south from you and I leave mine outside all year with no problem. They stop growing sometime in December and start sending up new leaves about the beginning of March.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Dec. 04 2005,7:52)]There are VFTs in Hosford, but your location is quite a lot further south I think. I would consider fridge dormancy mid Dec until early March.
I'm in Jacksonville, Fl. As you can see in this pic, the frig is out.
Picture%20460.JPG

Don't worry. Your good to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The temp has dropped in to the mid 30's only a couple of times. Tomorrow highs will be in the 80's.

Winter daytime temps in the 80s?! Oh.....I feel true sympathy for you!
smile_m_32.gif

If you want your plants to experience true dormancy, send 'em up to new england. They'll be under half a foot of snow by the end of next Tuesday!

Nice plants. I think they are happy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Dec. 04 2005,4:40)]Nice plants. I think they are happy.
Yea, I just wonder if they are sleepy. I'm still getting new traps. I'm not sure if you can see it, but the sarrs purpurea has a flower on it. I tried to self pollinate it. I think it worked. I see some swelling in the ovary. If these guys don't get some sleep, they are going to look like me after a two twelve pack night.
puke.gif

Back