Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VFT Tanning - How to get red traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. If you use artificial light, it generally has to be very close.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(--Bugweed @ Dec. 07 2005,9:07)
    Sunlight to a VFT is extremely important for its best growth. However, the sun, though responsible for the coloring process, is not the whole picture. We all know that anthocyanin cells in CP is the cause of their coloration. How a VFT colors up, and the "triggers" involved are another story. The old assumption of, "put the plant in the sun to promote the red coloration" is wrong. Yes, the plants may have genetics that respond to full sun, and the plants redden up. However, their are other triggers that have nothing to do with full sun that will turn the plant into a kaliedoscope of color. How the sun shines on some VFT's is the "secret" to their coloration. Some color up only in bright shade. Some will only respond to sun filtered through tall grasses or the dappling effect it would get through the branches of a tree. Many variables will produce bright, rich color, while some, genetically, won't color up to any extent, no matter what you do. So light is the key, but the most important factor, is how the sun shines, or doesn't shine, on a particular plant. The fun part is experimenting with your baby until you get the coloration you are looking for, using the guidelines above. Expect to to get negligable results from some of your babies too! In the CP world, nothing is usually an absolute in the life of a CP/VFT! EXPERIMENT!!! I did.

Wow. How did I miss this post. I remember before I grew a giant variety in bubbled sun by Eucalyptus trees in the back yard. The plant was growing very strong and red. I mean it got red so fast that by sunset I would go outside and newly opened traps from morning already have color in them. After I moved to my new house which had no trees, the same giant variety received full sun but only produced green traps with faint red outlines at most. However, in full sun, my all varieties turned deep chocolate all over. So I think I'll be looking ito bubbled sun, morning sun, sunset sun more. Also I'll have to experiment with sun reflected off white stucco walls.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, UP. You should find many different combinations of sun/shade to keep you busy and happy for a long time.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zappafan, I fail to see the link, though I think I understand what you are saying. It is possible, but would require further research. Alvin, late season sun, weaker, and less of it, and the plants turn red. Could be coincidence, but try them in bright shade, or dappled sun where the sun plays hide and seek with the plants, and see what happens. I have watched many different reactions to various conditions, with anticipation!!!! Some really fine results have come about. I should have posted this 10 years ago. But then, I wasn't HERE then!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the connection now. Could be. So with the new growing season approaching, what do you plan to do about the information you now have on the coloring up process? I am still looking for plants that respond to full sun besides "Red Dragon". I have a couple, but am looking forward to a few more. Then, I will alternately shade some of my VFT's, others will be in dappled light, and bright shade. Maybe we all could find the light conditions for various clones that they respond to with color, and post their pics and growing and lighting conditions.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try an opaque fibreglass instead. It will cut down the harshness of the sun, and give you some really bright shade. See how it works if you can. Black mesh shadecloth, or green?
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try white mesh. It will diffuse the light beautifully. Plus, the whiteness will reflect some heat.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! One thing I forgot to mention. If the plants color up red in any situation (sun/shade/dappled sun), if they catch an insect before they reach peak color, wherever the color development is at, at the time of capture, the color sets at that point. The trap will not color up beyond the point of insect capture. So, if the trap is reddening, heading towards a brilliant red, and it is showing the flush of red color develoment, a capture stops any further color development ----dead in its tracks.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast