Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VFT Tanning - How to get red traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing season is what I wrote about, not fall, Ron. But you are right. It happens here too just before, and during dormancy. Joseph, "bubbled sun" is another way Uglypho had for saying dappled sunlight.
    Last edited by Bugweed; 02-23-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tan-lines:

Leaves in the center, the lower leaf was on top prior to photo

After repotting the position of the leaves are greatly different, note where the yellow/blackening leaf formerly shaded the other leaf

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Hey Not A Number, how did that tiny trap (the one right above the number 13) in the first picture originate?? That's how one of my first palnt's traps looked at a certain point a long time ago.
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one or two plantlets/divisions on that rhizome (left over from TC no doubt). When I repotted it, it didn't look ready to divide or at least I am too inexperienced to attempt dividing it just yet. Maybe next year if they're still alive.

The pictures are from two different pots both recently repotted prior to the photos and not a before and after sequence as one might be lead to believe from my commentary.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoxos View Post
    There is no magic formula of "use bulb X". You'll just have to try and see what works for you, with the understanding that more light will probably work better, and sunlight is best. If color is weak, add more light. If still weak, check other factors of health, and add more light!
    How long does it usually take for a new green trap to turn to its full red color? Days, weeks, months,...?

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trap color

Hi,

Traps usually open with the color they are going to have. They may darken a little bit, but a green trap will probably stay green.

Full sunlight is the best for trap coloration and overall health. Mine are outside year-round. When they come out of dormancy, sunlight is still fairly weak and the traps have just a little red. As the days get longer and the sunlight gets stronger, the traps will open with deeper red.

You could bring them in for the summer and grow them under intense grow lights. I would then put them outside for winter dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just about to ask that. Thanks. I was wondering because mine have been outside for almost a month and they aren't that red, but the new ones look pretty red (the ones that were REALLY tiny when I put it out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will a light bulb producing 1.3k lumuns help my VFT or is it useless?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast