Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VFT Tanning - How to get red traps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

The sun's the best but as we all know artificial light is better than no light. So for the experts, please comment, fill in the details and help us out here. This is what I have gathered so far on flourescent or compact flourescent.

Lumens vs Colour Temperature vs Photoperiod
    Lumens - go as high as possible; that means, put in as many tubes with as high a wattage

Colour Temperature - 6000K to 6500K is closest to sunlight but I noticed many growers here using cool white which is around 5000K and their VFT traps colour up nicely. FL or CFL tubes with a higher K produces lesser lumens than one with lower K of the same wattage.

Photoperiod - mininmum of 12-16 hours

*p.s. Bear in mind that certain varieties of VFT will not turn red or extremely red even if you bake them under the sun. They are genetically coded not to produce much of the red colouring.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know everyone says to put VFT's under a minimum of 70-80w, but I have found that they grow just fine for me 1 foot under 2 18w grow tubes. I also have tall Neps under the same light and they color up just fine. This was really a test to see if VFT's were really that picky about light. So far, they really don't seem to care.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my Venus Flytraps were in full growth, I had them under about 100 watts of light (compact flourescent warm white light). They colored up really nicely, so now we know that 100 watts is sufficient [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine under 2 18w phillips plant lights and they grew tall and weak. I added 2 more and still poor health. I put them outside and they started growing like wild. The traps got very dark red.

This pic is with the 2 bulb set up. Notice long, skinny leaves and tiny traps.

This is four months after I put them out side with the rest of my CP's.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are 3" under 160W cool white fluorescent tubes (14h photoperiod). They have good coloration.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bogs Lord H!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats wierd, mine do just fine under 2 18w tubes. they are nice and red.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but how far away, under two 18w lights? And do you have reflective coatings around the pot/terrarium/whatever to help catch the light? And do you have anything between plants and lights like the top of a terrarium? How much of what section of light spectrum is caught by the glass, if any? And how healthy were the plants to start with? What variety of VFTs are being grown? Other factors than just light type affect color.

Honestly, the informal survey here is no way to gather any really useful information folks. No offense meant to anyone, but there are just too many unmentioned variables. And most of us are just informal growers anyhow. All this anecdotal evidence of good or bad growth under lights is just that - anecdotal.

There is no magic formula of "use bulb X". You'll just have to try and see what works for you, with the understanding that more light will probably work better, and sunlight is best. If color is weak, add more light. If still weak, check other factors of health, and add more light!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast