What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cinnamon as organic fungicide?

I recently went searching the internet to see if there was anything just around the house that I could use as a fungicide. And on about 4 or five sites they said that if you mix cinnamon into your soil or put it on the surface it would kill fungus. Has any one else used of heard of this? I'm testing it on my VFT seeds to see if it keeps mold from growing (killed my seeds last year).
smile_l_32.gif

welcoe to the forums! i've tried this with not much luck, others may have had different experiences though. it doesn't hurt to try though.

Yeah, I really hope it works, but if it dosn't I'll just go buy a sulfur based fungicide at the lawn and garden store.

A college student called Moonflower had successfullu used cinnamon to deal with mold.

Sulphur is effective for preventing spores landing on it from germinating.

If the action is one of preventing spore germination, then I guess you could say it is a fungus preventative, rather than a fungicide.

Personally, I'm trying a little cinnamon and a little garden sulfur. That's all. I'm trying to avoid 'cidal' agents, since I have cats that get into everything. So far, so good.

with all of the wonderful advances in horticultural technology, there no reason not to use 'cides, unless you'r trying to protect the environment or something. they are wonderously effective when used properly.

if you do want to use cinnamon, you might want to make a concentrated cinnamon "tea" and apply that to your plants. that way you wont get that messy cinnamon powder everywhere. it's wonderfully fragrant.

Back