Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting in suspect - VFT losing redness

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Honestly, I suspect the nursery painted the VFTs with red ink before selling them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Btw, ignore the coin. I needed to know how large the traps were. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Notice how washed out the traps look!

The green trap is one of the newest.

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me that the plants were taken from a high light level to a lower light level....that is what has caused your plants to lose their red coloration. This *Commonly* occurs; take for instance Red Dragon(Akai Ryu), it produces beautiful red colored traps though ONLY in high light, in lower light levels the traps will be green.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW fantastic pics Cindy and very beautiful VFTs regaurdless of trap color, they look awsome!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy, read the pinned topic you started (VFT Tanning--I pinned it.) It may hold the answer you seek. I have found some VFT's are grown in very bright shade (whitewashed greenhouses), and the plant had the genetic set that allowed it to color up in bright light conditions. I have taken plants grown in this way, put them in full sun, and watch the color wash right out in any new traps that develop. Full sun was not what they were looking for, but the bright shade they had such beautiful color in. Thier genetics caused them to color up in bright shade, not full sun. Many of the most colorful traps I have ever found in the field were growing in filtered light through the grasses growing over them. How many times I have heard, "My VFT's lost their color! WHY!?!?!?!?!?!", I cannot even tell you. But, not all the plants respond to direct, full sun, while others will. Read the pinned topic.
    Last edited by Bugweed; 02-28-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping to top.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the "painted" plants

The other

BUMP BUMP

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just notice the other day that all my traps are dark red. Even traps that never had any color. It has been in the 40's here in Jacksonville. They also are not in any direct sun light any more.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Cindy:

Your pictures are simply stunning! The sheer profusion of lush, crimson leaves so fiercely pronged and retracted... what a fantasy! I know you were remarking about how poorly flushed they are, but nonetheless, in my eyes, I am struck with how breathtaking they are. I am just starting this hobby but my dream is to cultivate a collection just as yours.

If you didn't mind, I had few questions about the plant you have pictured here:

1. The first "painted" photo- where did you purchase these VFTs?
    2. How long did it take for that plant to grow to holding so many traps
    3. Is it all from a single plant?
    4. Would you know roughly how old your plant is?
    5. What is your climate/location?

I did check your website out in case these questions were answered, and all I got were more beautiful pics [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you,
    Caro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast