What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80 Watts Enough For Gremination?

I bought a new light fixture for my fish tanks so now I have a spare light fixture I could use for my seeds. Would 80 watts be enough? Another question would be should I leave them in the window or put them under the 80 watts? I don't think they are getting mush light because the sun goes down pretty early, about 4:30ish.

80 watts is more than enough light to get most seeds to germinate. What seeds will you be sowing?

you brave soul,

its quite a stupid idea in my eyes to buy vft seeds when tissue cultured plants can sell for like 1-2 dollars each a some nearby nursery...
But out of my expirience most seeds require VERY WET conditions with EXTREME SUN, but once they sprout dimm the light and cut the watering so its damp/soggy

Oh and you have enough light, dont worry.

I like to have them as young as I can get. I like the idea of saying that I grew them from seeds.

Can't say as I agree with you, 7Santiago. I think Murph's got the right idea. They are seed, and will all have different genetics locked up in those tiny "eggplants". Tissue cultured stock is from the same genetic stamp, and all the plants bought from that particular lot, will all be the same. Murph is going to get soooo many different variations in plants, he will think he died and went to bog heaven! Murph, I get good results with Veri-Lux incandescents. Daylight spectrum. And just 60 watts. So light intensity is more important than how many watts, and various wattages will produce whatever amount of light they can as made by a manufacturer. Some lower wattage lights I have seen have been VERY bright when higher watts were not. That at least has been my experience. I don't do tubes anymore, and I stick with my bulbs and heat mat for seedlings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think Murph's got the right idea.

I agree. I love to be able to say I grew something from seed, or even from a leaf cutting. There's a much greater sense of accomplishment than if I buy a plant from a store/business. I also love to rescue plants from Home Depot and Lowe's, because when I get them they aren't much to look at but after a few months in my care, I can be proud of them
smile.gif

I agree, aswell, but for slightly different reasons.. I just killed all my vft's trying for dormancy. Seed grown plants I can skip that for a few years, trade em, sell em. Then start with new seedlings, and not have to worry about dormancy. LoL

Nah, I'll try dormancy again, these just got to wet right before the pot froze. I was going to dry them as soon as it thawed, but the weather was so freakish, the molded/fungied up, before I got to them. Like the others said there is more satisfaction from growing them from seed. Or your own TC..

smile.gif
Growing VFT's from seed is very rewarding and to boot there soooooooooo darn tiny and cute.
smilie4.gif

Veri-Lux incandescents. Daylight spectrum. And just 60 watts. Where can I get this or something like this? Is this a blub or a whole light set? Around how much would it be total?

A simple daylight lightbulb. Buy mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. About 7 dollars each. I bought four, and that is all I need. All my seedlings were grown using these lights. I grow sarracenia all winter (seedlings) for 2 years under lights. The seedlings are usually 1 foot tall by the end of their first year. They mature in 3 to 5 years instead of the usual 5 to 7 years. VFT's can be grown under lights too, and will respond well to growlights.

Back