What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant kinda divided

I got a VFT back in mid-December, and since then, it has grown pretty well. Not fast, though fast enough. It has tried to flower, but I cut off the stalk. Then, it clumped, and made a baby plant. Plus, a bunch of roots are coming outta the bottom of the pot. So, should I repot this little guy, or wait till it's in dormancy several months from now?

Plant:(you can see the baby plant just above the main crown)

vftplant3web.jpg

Roots:

vftrootsweb.jpg

Many thanks,
-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Feb. 10 2006,3:15)]or wait till it's in dormancy several months from now?
Say what? Your profile states you are in New York. If your definition of "several months from now" is 9 months (early November), then is when you will expect dormancy. Apparently you are skipping this winter's dormant period. Your plant looks like it thinks it is spring already.

You could leave them together through the summer. Or, you could repot it in a larger pot and separate the offshoot at that time. It looks like the plant is in a 3-inch pot. I grow most of my VFT in 4-inch pots.

I rescued this plant from a nursery place where they had little plastic cups over them. I decided to take one home. I decided to skip its dormancy since it was in full growth during winter. It came in the 3-inch pot, so I was wondering if repotting it now would shock it, though I've done repotting before in summer with no shock.

-Ben

A lot of people repot their vfts at this time of the year while the plants are still dormant anyway. Personally I would wait until the spring when the plants are growing and can recover more easily, but if your plant is in growth now then I see no reason why you should not repot it now. Just be careful to try not to damage the roots when you get it out of its old pot.

If you wanted to repot now I don't see a problem with it. Just leave it in the LFS it's in and repot the whole thing into a larger pot. I've done this many times and it never seems to affect them. The only problem I could see leaving in the pot it's in would be, not letting the pot it's sitting in dry out. I would repot but that's just me. Considering the length VFT's roots get you'd be better off with at least a taller pot.

I'd repot now. If you wait 'till it's dormant next season, you could have more roots coming out the drainage holes that you'd have to cut. I'd also use the method and type of pot Zac mentioned.

What type of VFT u have bought? South West Giant???

Looks like a healty adult typical to me.

it looks like your plant is from the same company by looking at the pot....did it have a sticker on the pot saying the care instructions?

Yup, and a little plastic cup over the top.

-Ben

Back