What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing Walmart VFTs...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 23 2006,11:54)]Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.
I don't want to sound callous, but it's not as important as these are mass produced tc plants and not seedlings.
That said, I stopped at Walmart today to see if they had hit here in Lincoln, NE and they had them marked down 50%(made them $2.47 each), so I rescued four dentates.

smile_l_32.gif

What can I say? I am a sucker.

Cheers,

Joe

Fotki. Consider the fact that they have more than likely have been watered with tap water. That could be a BIG reason. Always flush the pots from HD, Lowe's, or Wal-Mart with LOTS of R/o, distilled or rain water. Four of five flushes might work.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 24 2006,3:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 23 2006,11:54)]Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.
I don't want to sound callous, but it's not as important as these are mass produced tc plants and not seedlings.
 That said, I stopped at Walmart today to see if they had hit here in Lincoln, NE and they had them marked down 50%(made them $2.47 each), so I rescued four dentates.

smile_l_32.gif

What can I say? I am a sucker.

Cheers,

Joe
Hahaha, even though I know they're TC plants I still have a thing for rescuing them. It always makes me feel good to nurse one back to health!

Heheee! I always succumb to walmart.
smile.gif

What do you mean by TC plants? Tissue culture?

huh?

Could someone explain what the difference between:

1. leaf cutting
2. tissue culture
3. cloning
4. division

I'm aware those leaf cutting is when the blade is gently peeled off the bulb (enough to have the white fleshy part intact) and division I thought was when the plant naturally sprouts up baby parts of itself through the dirt.

Fotki, your walmart plants and my walmart plants are going through the same fate!! I have no idea why, I hope some experienced VFT raisers would be able to find out why--- my walmart plants are less green, less vivacious looking, and have pale, leathery textures to them! the longer they're in my care! I believe I may have scorched them in the direct sunlight I was feeding them, but this happened to some of the walmart VFTs that already were in sunlight when I bought them. Some are recovering from what I had thought was sunshock...

smile_h_32.gif

Perhaps I'm over-watering them (I lightly mist distilled/reverse-osmosis water on them 3 or 4 times a day, with only half a centimeter of water)

The traps have reddened though, which I like.

Venus Flytraps don't need very much humidity to do well, so you should probably stop misting them. Keeping them in a tray of water, allowing that tray to get dry, and then filling it with water again every few days will do the trick.

1. leaf cutting= taking a healthy, live leaf from a plant, and sticking it into soil and hoping that it will bud and make roots.

2. tissue culture= not exactly sure, but taking a leaf, seed, root, or any part of the plant, and putting it into a ultra sterilized container with some sorta nutrient juice stuff in it, and somehow that little bit of the plant where ever it came from, starts to grow. That's why it's so efficient, since you can use almost any part of the plant, and it works quickly.

3. cloning= pretty much the same as division or leaf cutting, since the leaf would have the same genes as the mother plant, and the division would as well. This is asexual reproduction

4. division= some plants clump from their roots, as in make more plants, and people like to divide them to make more.

Hope this helps, Carito,
-Ben

Carito, Ben, your leaf cuttings would be more likely to strike with the addition of Superthrive, a rooting hormone. Follow the directions on the bottle, and wait. It will encourage your plants to root and produce! Try it, you will not be disappointed!

My workplace got 36 VFTs in recently from Holland and I decided to help myself to a whole tray of 12... Thank goodness for staff dicounts!
smile_n_32.gif
There are a few interesting varieties in the batch, too...

Cheers
Amori

Amori, which forms did you get, or are they as yet unnamed clones?

They all have "Typical" morphology, but some are all-green, some have deep red traps, some have noticeably better trap size:petiole ratio etc. There was one plant with long petioles and red/yellow colouration but a customer beat me to it - though I do prefer tidy, small rosettes (which I aim to seek out). I tend to prefer very short but very wide petioles (don't know why). I also take note of the shape and size of the "teeth". What I'm trying to say (I think) is that they're not all identical for once!
The only real interesting VFTs I have for the moment are 'Ruby Red' yearlings from seed, and I have to say the bug has bit me (again) and my interest in all that is Dionaea is slowly encroaching on my wallet.

Cheers
Amori

Man! Do I understand that about noticing VFT's again after many years. I love them, but never had much in the way of colorful plants until I learned the "secret" to how some of them prefer to color up. Still, I ignored the cultivars until recently. I was floored by the many odd plants being brought into cultivation. Now, I want them all! Poorhouse! HERE I COME!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 25 2006,9:50)]Carito, Ben, your leaf cuttings would be more likely to strike with the addition of Superthrive, a rooting hormone. Follow the directions on the bottle, and wait. It will encourage your plants to root and produce! Try it, you will not be disappointed!
Per your recommendation, I just bought some Superthrive at Walmart, it's excellent how it's so heavily condensed that one millimeter per gallon of water will suffice!!!

<center>
ojfp5c.jpg

So, if this doesn't work, I will mail you Anthrax, bugweed!!!!

smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Feb. 25 2006,10:03)]My workplace got 36 VFTs in recently from Holland and I decided to help myself to a whole tray of 12... Thank goodness for staff dicounts!
smile_n_32.gif
There are a few interesting varieties in the batch, too...

Cheers
Amori
darn, i'd like to know where YOU work! Great hookups.

GOt any more pics of your VFT collection?

I see the word 'rosettes' being used in different contexts and forms here... what is it exactly?

Lol, OMG, my Wal Mart doesnt carry em, and Lowes ran out of ours, so! I cant get anymore anywhere!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheNailGun @ Feb. 28 2006,1:21)]Lol, OMG, my Wal Mart doesnt carry em, and Lowes ran out of ours, so! I cant get anymore anywhere!
Where do you live? I sent you a private message telling you to call up various walmarts.

However... I truly believe the walmart plants are unreliable, they will suffer from sunburn for a month, and then slowly start sending up new traps.

Your best bet is to order LIVE plants from the internet.

Try this site, petflytrap.com!! They have good prices.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Feb. 28 2006,2:31)]However... I truly believe the walmart plants are unreliable, they will suffer from sunburn for a month, and then slowly start sending up new traps.
That will be the case with any plants grown in a nursury, shielded from the sun, and in a high-humidity environment. All soft tissue, and they will dry out and burn in sunlight at first. It's best to harden them to the sun slowly, gradually increasing their exposure.

The REAL problem with Walmart, Lowe's Home Depot and other national chains (as HoustonHerp will gladly tell you, as this is a HUGE pet peeve of his), is that they only will deal with national growers, shutting smaller places out, and they demand a no-fault return policy. They can neglect and abuse the poor plants and kill them, and they get a full refund from the grower.

It's merely a commodity to them. There's no love in what they do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 28 2006,3:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Feb. 28 2006,2:31)]However... I truly believe the walmart plants are unreliable, they will suffer from sunburn for a month, and then slowly start sending up new traps.
That will be the case with any plants grown in a nursury, shielded from the sun, and in a high-humidity environment. All soft tissue, and they will dry out and burn in sunlight at first. It's best to harden them to the sun slowly, gradually increasing their exposure.

The REAL problem with Walmart, Lowe's Home Depot and other national chains (as HoustonHerp will gladly tell you, as this is a HUGE pet peeve of his), is that they only will deal with national growers, shutting smaller places out, and they demand a no-fault return policy. They can neglect and abuse the poor plants and kill them, and they get a full refund from the grower.

It's merely a commodity to them. There's no love in what they do.
That explains Walmart's 30-day refund guarantee on plants. THey told me if any died, I could get a full refund with receipt. wow.

At least with Home Depot there is a one year guarantee. Show them the dead plant, with receipt and you get another or refind or store credit.

In fark.com we refer to this as a threadjack. It means I am going to say something that may change the direction of the thread from it's orginal intent.
/threadjack
I seriously dislike Mal-Wart (your source for cheap plastic crap)
Not because I am some tree hugging hippie. But because they have some god awful business practices that have had a nasty effect even hear in this metropolis Palm Beach County (FL). I would love to buy cps at cheap prices but I won't give Mal-Wart a dime of my money. I would rather buy them from a reputable small buisness owner or trade here in the forums. I am sure I could possibly save a many cps at those incredibly cheap prices that Wallyworld has. But I would rather let them rot. <--- See a real hippie isn't mean like I am.

Find a local nursery, if they sell them buy them, even if they cost a little more. If the nursery is really good, share the info (respect to petflytrap.com ) so that other locals will help keep small business like that going. I realize that Lowes and Home Depot also sell cps. I would pay more at those places (but not much more) to help them. At least I know that several of the local nurseries here supply home depot and lowes. A few have been approachd by tram-laW and refused to do business with them. Something about wanting to actually make a reasonable profit.

Many times the nurseries that supply Mal-Wart are on the plants. Call them if they are local and ask if they sell plants direct to customer and see if you can buy it from them directly. Sometimes they are still cheaper than buying retail even at Wally World. Let them know you are purchasing so you don't have to go to Mal-Wart and buy them there.

</rant>
//threadjack over

If you actually took the time to read this thank you.
If th mods delete this, I understand.
If you work for Mal-Wart, that is fine, just understand I don't shop there and encourage that in others.

If you feel you are rescuing poor little cps, that is fine, Just when they grow really big and you need to split them or get seeds use the trading post, please.

And if you also don't shop at Wallyworld. Thank You.

Okay I will now put on my asbestoes underware as I expect a potential flamewar.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Wrong, Omnipotent One! There will be NO flame wars as I have the magical power to DELETE!!!!!!! And DELETE I shall if ANYONE, besides me, misbehaves!!!! Your opinion is as good as anyone elses here!

Patient: What could be worse than giving birth to one big eye?

Doctor: It's blind!

Back