Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Walmart VFTs...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! And she won't bite if that is done. Once she senses a loved one is doing something like that she controls herself. She puts up with a lot from the kids, who practically love her to death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recently I bought some venus fly traps from walmart too!

but they started withering or drying away (?) leathery looking texture, bending away from the sun, losing color. I gave them plenty of distilled water and sunshine, (I know how to take care of Venus fly traps, i have another that's doing fantastic for a year now). I don't know if I fried it, or if the sudden cold week my city went through recently forced them into a freak-dormancy.

anyone know why that might have happened?

and are your walmart venus fly traps doing good to this day?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In nature, the plants all experience the ebb and flow of cold and warm fronts, thus going through a high of 60 one day and an overnight low of 15 the next. Healthy plants can take this. Garden center plants that have been neglected may not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 23 2006,11:54)]Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.
    I don't want to sound callous, but it's not as important as these are mass produced tc plants and not seedlings.
    That said, I stopped at Walmart today to see if they had hit here in Lincoln, NE and they had them marked down 50%(made them $2.47 each), so I rescued four dentates.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

What can I say? I am a sucker.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fotki. Consider the fact that they have more than likely have been watered with tap water. That could be a BIG reason. Always flush the pots from HD, Lowe's, or Wal-Mart with LOTS of R/o, distilled or rain water. Four of five flushes might work.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 24 2006,3:51)]
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 23 2006,11:54)]Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.
    I don't want to sound callous, but it's not as important as these are mass produced tc plants and not seedlings.
    That said, I stopped at Walmart today to see if they had hit here in Lincoln, NE and they had them marked down 50%(made them $2.47 each), so I rescued four dentates.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

What can I say? I am a sucker.

Cheers,

Joe
    Hahaha, even though I know they're TC plants I still have a thing for rescuing them. It always makes me feel good to nurse one back to health!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Heheee! I always succumb to walmart. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

What do you mean by TC plants? Tissue culture?

huh?

Could someone explain what the difference between:

1. leaf cutting
    2. tissue culture
    3. cloning
    4. division

I'm aware those leaf cutting is when the blade is gently peeled off the bulb (enough to have the white fleshy part intact) and division I thought was when the plant naturally sprouts up baby parts of itself through the dirt.

Fotki, your walmart plants and my walmart plants are going through the same fate!! I have no idea why, I hope some experienced VFT raisers would be able to find out why--- my walmart plants are less green, less vivacious looking, and have pale, leathery textures to them! the longer they're in my care! I believe I may have scorched them in the direct sunlight I was feeding them, but this happened to some of the walmart VFTs that already were in sunlight when I bought them. Some are recovering from what I had thought was sunshock...

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Perhaps I'm over-watering them (I lightly mist distilled/reverse-osmosis water on them 3 or 4 times a day, with only half a centimeter of water)

The traps have reddened though, which I like.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast