Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Walmart VFTs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venus Flytraps don't need very much humidity to do well, so you should probably stop misting them. Keeping them in a tray of water, allowing that tray to get dry, and then filling it with water again every few days will do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. leaf cutting= taking a healthy, live leaf from a plant, and sticking it into soil and hoping that it will bud and make roots.

2. tissue culture= not exactly sure, but taking a leaf, seed, root, or any part of the plant, and putting it into a ultra sterilized container with some sorta nutrient juice stuff in it, and somehow that little bit of the plant where ever it came from, starts to grow. That's why it's so efficient, since you can use almost any part of the plant, and it works quickly.

3. cloning= pretty much the same as division or leaf cutting, since the leaf would have the same genes as the mother plant, and the division would as well. This is asexual reproduction

4. division= some plants clump from their roots, as in make more plants, and people like to divide them to make more.

Hope this helps, Carito,
    -Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carito, Ben, your leaf cuttings would be more likely to strike with the addition of Superthrive, a rooting hormone. Follow the directions on the bottle, and wait. It will encourage your plants to root and produce! Try it, you will not be disappointed!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My workplace got 36 VFTs in recently from Holland and I decided to help myself to a whole tray of 12... Thank goodness for staff dicounts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] There are a few interesting varieties in the batch, too...

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amori, which forms did you get, or are they as yet unnamed clones?
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all have "Typical" morphology, but some are all-green, some have deep red traps, some have noticeably better trap sizeetiole ratio etc. There was one plant with long petioles and red/yellow colouration but a customer beat me to it - though I do prefer tidy, small rosettes (which I aim to seek out). I tend to prefer very short but very wide petioles (don't know why). I also take note of the shape and size of the "teeth". What I'm trying to say (I think) is that they're not all identical for once!
    The only real interesting VFTs I have for the moment are 'Ruby Red' yearlings from seed, and I have to say the bug has bit me (again) and my interest in all that is Dionaea is slowly encroaching on my wallet.

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man! Do I understand that about noticing VFT's again after many years. I love them, but never had much in the way of colorful plants until I learned the "secret" to how some of them prefer to color up. Still, I ignored the cultivars until recently. I was floored by the many odd plants being brought into cultivation. Now, I want them all! Poorhouse! HERE I COME!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 25 2006,9:50)]Carito, Ben, your leaf cuttings would be more likely to strike with the addition of Superthrive, a rooting hormone. Follow the directions on the bottle, and wait. It will encourage your plants to root and produce! Try it, you will not be disappointed!
    Per your recommendation, I just bought some Superthrive at Walmart, it's excellent how it's so heavily condensed that one millimeter per gallon of water will suffice!!!

So, if this doesn't work, I will mail you Anthrax, bugweed!!!!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast