What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing Walmart VFTs...

Are you expecting Walmart supporters?
smile.gif

I think unless you're on their payroll, mild irritation with them is about as good a feeling as one gets.

Carito, I live in Ohio. All the Wal-Marts I've been to in Ohio dont have em! Thats retarded, cuz I really want one, and I'm afraid mine wont grow well. (Have u ever seen a 15 year old girl with fake nails on too scared to take the peat pellet outta the water because its too nasty? Come to my house.) Its stupid cuz the workers there are so stupid. I went up to the lady and she was standing around the plants department and I went "Do u have Venus Fly Traps?" and shes like "I dont know, this isnt my dapertment," and walks away. Nobody was there, either. Just her. But anyway, most wal marts just have like cactus plants and no CP's. BTW, I might buy one online if none of these stores around here have em
smile_h_32.gif
. Lowes only gets these little seeds for 8 year olds. It says "Grow your own VFT!" and its got a pot in it, and a peat pellet, the seeds and stuff. I'm afraid mine wont grow, so I'm trying to get a real one as backup! LOL!

-The Nail Gun

I went to my local Lowes yesterday and they finally had VFTs and Sundews. I bought a VFT and it looks in fairly good shape. I took the cover off and added water to the bottom clear cube naturally and placed it in my south kitchen window.

Tom

The Wal-Mart near me has a TON of VFT's. I don't know why they keep stocking them. That Wal-Mart is smack dab in the middle of the ghetto. So every time they get VFT's they all just sit there and die. So I just wait for them to start dieing and I go and round up as many as I can for a BIG discount.

There's a Giant near me that sells VFTs. Another option for people who can't find them maybe.

That's a good idea Copcar... I've been wanting to just fill a giant pot with typicals for a while, and that'd be the way to make it affordable (without waiting 10 years). What do you guys say when you ask for discounts? I've never bartered in a store before... I wouldn't even know who to ask.

I don't know how CopCar does it, but this is what I did:

Walk up to the trays filled with half-dead/rotting VFTs and pick some unimpressive ones out. Request to speak with a manager and explain to him/her the procedures for properly taking care of VFTs, and show the half-dead plants. Explain to them they will further continue to languish unless they are exposed to proper care techniques, and ask what sort of discount would you be able to receive if you try to select a few to rescue today.

At first, I was OFFERED discount by a manager once he heard me explaining the care techniques, because the manager saw how dead the tray was---- once they realize how much their plants are dying, they will be willing to get rid of them.

good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Mar. 04 2006,2:28)]That's a good idea Copcar... I've been wanting to just fill a giant pot with typicals for a while, and that'd be the way to make it affordable (without waiting 10 years). What do you guys say when you ask for discounts? I've never bartered in a store before... I wouldn't even know who to ask.
I go in and grab a few VFT's and take them to checkout. Then I ask the cashier for a discount. Sometimes if you ask a manager and agree to get the whole tray you can get around 20 VFT's for a few bucks. Out of the 20 I can get about half to survive.

Oh and it REALLY helps to search around for a cool manager.

from the same supplier that walmart got theres but i got mine from a small family owned greenhouse, unfortunatly i didnt get around to putting them in dormancy this year so im not sure how they will fair through the summer. a couple are sending up flower stalks so ill get to see what VFT flowers look like in person

for size referance what you are seeing is actually 2 seperate 3.5 inch pots
ae76b1e2.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 04 2006,4:10)]from the same supplier that walmart got theres but i got mine from a small family owned greenhouse, unfortunatly i didnt get around to putting them in dormancy  this year so im not sure how they will fair through the summer. a couple are sending up flower stalks so ill get to see what VFT flowers look like in person

for size referance what you are seeing is actually 2 seperate 3.5 inch pots
ae76b1e2.jpg
NICE!

Tom

Mine are still doing quite well. No burns, a few blackening traps, and lots of new, young, traps.
I currently have three Dentate, a typical, and a Sawtooth from there, though the health of two are... iffy, as they were sort of doing a very dramatic, Oscar-winning, death throe at the store when the clerk just gave them to me.

Horrible practices, yeah. Walmart sucks. Some of us can't afford to shop other places for -most- stuff, let alone our hobbies. Some of us -want- to shop other places, but the little local stores get muscled out by the mall-sized supercenters full of crap no one needs and no one wants to drive the extra fifteen minutes. Lazy America made Wal-Mart... and you can't say that it didn't. Wehn people are so bum(explitive deleted) lazy that they want to order their McArterycloggers at the -register- rather than waddling over and ordering/picking up all at once? Ye gads. It's the people, and the place. I was never so glad as to see them get ransacked during the hurricanes. I kinda wish I'd been there to point and laugh at the Lowest Prices Ever in person.

My "out" with these plants is that they are going to be cultivated, and traded. Leaf cuttings are going to be made this month, or next. Seeds will be saved/traded. Plants will be traded. If I just can't let one go... I may get it. That's how it was with the sawtooth. I do most of my shopping at farm stores and charity thrift stores... every now and then, though, those prices drag me the hell back in... and I can't get away for under $20.
smile_h_32.gif

As part of my personal pennance for supporting the mass murder of plants (I've had it confirmed that I am the only person currently purchasing carnivorous plants from Lowes.
mad.gif
Wal-mart also confirmed that they haven't to their knowledge sold more than about ten. I count five on my window sil.) I intend to grow out some VFTs, and distribute them at a local greenhouse -with- care sheets. Big, thick, FAT care sheets ... and hand-painted pots. ;)

awwww! you're a saint!

do you have pictures of your VFT collection? I'd like to see that sawtooth.

Rattler,

I think they can grow consecutive seasons fine-I believe in the wilds(especially Florida) they can get some very mild Winters and not get a true dormancy.

Cheers,

Joe

In Florida, they also experience a dormancy. This is due to the shorter days and the lack of water. I had mine in the refrigerator for over a month, all they did to me was grow. They were in ziplock bags which kept the soil moist. I pulled them out after a month after I had a conversation with Trent at Sunbelle Exotics. I just stopped watering them except for once a week. they are now dormant and doing well outside here in South Florida. Also this means no mold.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 05 2006,10:25)]In Florida, they also experience a dormancy. This is due to the shorter days and the lack of water. I had mine in the refrigerator for over a month, all they did to me was grow. They were in ziplock bags which kept the soil moist. I pulled them out after a month after I had a conversation with Trent at Sunbelle Exotics. I just stopped watering them except for once a week. they are now dormant and doing well outside here in South Florida. Also this means no mold.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
This coming winter, I shall be putting my VFTs into slumber as well, thanks for that tip, I was afraid I needed to empty out all my pots, gently and endlessly slave over dusting off the soil from the fragrile root system, place them in ziploc baggies, insert them in my fridge (much to my mummy's dismay and disgust, i bet) and check up on them once a week.

however, this outdoor method sounds like a good idea to me, by naturally letting them accept the reduced photoperiod and reducing their watering to once a week (or at least letting the tray evaporate between waterings).

Thanks for the tip.

Rattler: Very nice VFTs! I love how full those pots look
smile.gif

Back