What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing Walmart VFTs...

Couple days ago I serendipitously traipsed upon VFTs at the gardening center in Walmart. I didn't think they would carry these here, and was only looking for plastic pots.

Many were half-dead, if not dead, due to the obscure, dark shelf they had been relegated to. I thought it was odd it was in a hidden area, I am sure almost no customers would see them or know what they are unless they walked over to the hidden area (it was kind of near packing boxes in the corner) and it was a surprise that the plants were actually red and promising. And may I add, a dozen times better looking than the paltry Lowes/Home Depot plants.

I took home 3 that day ($5 each) and returned for more the next. I explained to a gardening representative my suggestions for better light exposure and care, and he gave me 50% whatever I would chose that day.

So I ended up taking home FOUR plants, and my total was (drumroll) $10!!!! (I was squealing inside with delight)

More large/clear pictures available on my VFT blog

<center>
supertrayavg2uy.jpg
</center>

The plant in the center is my Equilibrio plant, and the surrounding are Walmart's.

<Center>

nzhuac.jpg
</center>

That's pretty cool. I can see that the plants you got were making those longer, small-trapped leaves, which shows the people at Walmart had no idea as to what they were doing.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Nice red plants.

I think a repot would be a good idea since I bet they will have been watered with tap water.

Some of those VFTs are brilliantly colored. Nice find. I remember a few yeats ago I found some really nice VFTs at home depot with full red traps. Today the nurseries just don't pump out stock as quality as it used to be. Your VFTs look great

I plan to hit up another wal-mart tomorrow, and see if I can find a good buy on them. The Dentata is just... so lonely. >;-D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Feb. 18 2006,5:30)]That's pretty cool. I can see that the plants you got were making those longer, small-trapped leaves, which shows the people at Walmart had no idea as to what they were doing.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben
(Sheepish grin) Yes, so I informed the representatives on how to take care of them and hopefully they will now flourish.

I explained how many of them were half-dead, and the managers are somewhat quick to give discounts. So cool!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Feb. 18 2006,7:42)]Some of those VFTs are brilliantly colored. Nice find. I remember a few yeats ago I found some really nice VFTs at home depot with full red traps. Today the nurseries just don't pump out stock as quality as it used to be. Your VFTs look great
Thank you
smile.gif
Not as beautiful as yours though. Someday I might get there
smile.gif

By the way Phong, do you have any recent photos of your VFT plants?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 18 2006,5:50)]Nice red plants.

I think a repot would be a good idea since I bet they will have been watered with tap water.
They were indeed water with tap water
smile_h_32.gif

I was nervous about repotting them because I exposed them to full sun and a new environment, so I am going to let them calm from shock first and then maybe go about repotting them. I am always worried about repotting because taking them out of their dirt or pot always causes many of the roots to be snapped off
smile_h_32.gif

Thank you for saying this though, I'm encouraged.

Well here's a shot of my dormant "Fang".
dormantFang.jpg

Here's a shot of my dormant Dirk Ventham's

dormantG14.JPG

Here's a collective shot:

collection3.jpg

Yup pretty much all dormant and no where as good looking as yours.

Still, that 'Fang' looks pretty good even now. I have about 2 open, red, fresh looking traps from 30 plants!

Really!??! So where are their mug shots?????

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 19 2006,3:18)]Really!??! So where are their mug shots?
confused.gif
?
Haha! Mug Shots!!!

My plants are fresh-looking because they were just purchased from these stores. They probably did not have their dormancy yet, eugh.

Phong's plants still look gorgeous while dormant. I thought dormant plants were supposed to look dead.

I'm ashamed of my VFT's right now. They all look horrible, no color, no traps. Just a brown ugly mess.

-Rail

They're supposed to look like "death warmed over" from dormancy right now! Give 'em time and they should be waking up soon and reward you with a flower.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 23 2006,6:58)]They're supposed to look like "death warmed over" from dormancy right now! Give 'em time and they should be waking up soon and reward you with a flower.
smile.gif
The picture of your cat is yawning and I want to stick my finger in its mouth!!! haha! I do that to my dog!!! lol... evil... it gets startled and confused.

LOL! And she won't bite if that is done. Once she senses a loved one is doing something like that she controls herself. She puts up with a lot from the kids, who practically love her to death.

Nice find Carito! It's always fun to rescue plants from stores where they're getting neglected.

recently I bought some venus fly traps from walmart too!

but they started withering or drying away (?) leathery looking texture, bending away from the sun, losing color. I gave them plenty of distilled water and sunshine, (I know how to take care of Venus fly traps, i have another that's doing fantastic for a year now). I don't know if I fried it, or if the sudden cold week my city went through recently forced them into a freak-dormancy.

anyone know why that might have happened?

and are your walmart venus fly traps doing good to this day?

In nature, the plants all experience the ebb and flow of cold and warm fronts, thus going through a high of 60 one day and an overnight low of 15 the next. Healthy plants can take this. Garden center plants that have been neglected may not.

Back