Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brief, condensed dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a brief, 4 week dormancy? I know they are supposed to have at least 3 or 4 months of rest, but what happens if they are in a deep fridge dormancy for 1 month, then placed in direct sunlight?

This is for a 6+ year old, mature bulb.

(Does age of the bulb/plant even make a difference?)

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all VFTs need the same dormancy from their second or third year onwards. The innate dormancy requirement is about 6-8 weeks. I don't know what will happen with only 4 weeks, but I think your plant will not be very happy.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I was wondering if that would be worse than having NO dormancy. ( a short dormancy as opposed to skipping one) Would you happen to know if that's worse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to say. Plants do what they want, when they want. Last year my plant didn't get that long of a dormancy, but they definately slowed down for a while. Guess you'll have to keep an eye on it. If I really had to guess though I'd say the plant will do alright.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fotki and welcome to TerraForums? I just had a mental image / flashback to college days and pulling allnighters - and then taking the tests. Not good. Even with caffeine, the synapses weren't firing. so maybe something akin could be happening with plants on an abbreviated sleep. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dammit, Jim! Your a researcher, not a psychologist! LOL!

Fotki, Your plant will survive. Mine have had quite a few abbreviated dormancies here, and they don't really seem to mind too much. A couple years of NO dormancy did them no good, but they will survive. They do have to sleep though, so at the very least, 4 weeks. Longer if the weather permits!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 22 2006,12:00)]Dammit, Jim! Your a researcher, not a psychologist! LOL!

Fotki, Your plant will survive. Mine have had quite a few abbreviated dormancies here, and they don't really seem to mind too much. A couple years of NO dormancy did them no good, but they will survive. They do have to sleep though, so at the very least, 4 weeks. Longer if the weather permits!
    Or.... "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" Now whose line was that? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeForest Kelly, Bones on Star Trek, the original, the episode escapes me, but it concerned critters that went through rock like a hot knife through butter. Bones had to fill a wound on the critter as it had been injured, and used concrete. Good show. As good as "The Trouble With Tribbles!"
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast