Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my fellow newbies..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that this is the first in what will become a series.

peat moss, despite its reputation for holding water quite nicely, is hydrophobic. in other words, it doesn't readily absorb water. So, when you're say repotting your vft's after dormancy, make sure you get the peat moss hydrated before you replant the rhizomes.

to do this, fill a bucket with water. pour the peat moss in. it will float. squeeze the peat moss, push it under water, and release it. you may need to do this a couple times, but it will eventually hydrate.

don't do what I did, which is replant the guys, go to water them, and make a huge mess all over your table when the water is not absorbed into the soil, but instead makes its merry way right down to the drainage holes. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img]
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat moss will hydrate on its own... just not quickly. You can pot the rhizomes, put it in the water tray, and the next day it'll be it's usual soggy self.

And to make the top behave in the meantime, you can spritz with a spray bottle until just the surface layer is soggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even better... when you fill the pot with water and the peat floats up and away.... all over the table.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presto, thanks for sharing your experience! I have followed the same path, as well as made messes in the kitchen. Plastic buckets work well. With my stream in the back, while living in PA, I used to use a plastic collander and the stream, as if I were panning for gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you pour a little water into the dry peat when you are making your media up , then mix it all together with the sand or other ingredients, you will find that it absorbs water with no problems as soon as you put the pot into the tray. You don't need to soak it, just a little, enough to make the mix slightly damp will do. Putting small amounts of peat into buckets of water is a long winded and messy way to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I ended up digging out the rhizomes, pouring the soil into a bucket and wetting it,then replanting them. there was already mud everywhere, what's a little more dirt?
    -Emily

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirt is good. Isn't a learning curve fun? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I repot, I usually add my "ingredients" in a bowl, add water and then stir it until everything is wet. That also helps with the compacting issue...if you pot dry and then add water and all of a sudden you find your plants are 2 inches below the rim of the pot where you can hardly see them because the wet soil settled more than you thought.

One thing about mistakes...you rarely rePEAT them. hahaha! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast