What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will seedlings burn?

When I put my VFT seedlings outside for the summer will the little leaves and traps burn? How would that work if they are growing so slow and then they all have to be cut off? I've also read somewhere that people usually keep them inside for the first winter. Would It be better to take them outside or leave them inside for the first winter? If inside they will prolly not go dorment. Would they grow better if they have a dorment period this young or should they be kept in for the whole year until next Spring?

They should only burn if you keep them inside and then plonk them outside in May or June. Put them out in early April say and they will aclimatise themselves.

About winter as well: just treat them like an adult. You have the option of keeping them inside on a windowsill if you want, or give them the full cold treatment.

I want to give them the best chance to grow the best they can.

Also if I put them out in April the temps here are still a little cold. Where they are at the temp is in the 70's. I don't think the temp will be in the 70's in the beginning of April. Will this hurt them to have a little cooler temps?

I would wait and put them out when the danger of frosts has passed, but before the sun is too hot in the daytime. Plants need to aclimatise to both heat and cold in extremes, so a plant kept in the warm and suddenly plonked out in freezing temperatures is in as much danger as a plant that is kept inside then suddenly put out into the sunshine. If your temperatures are only falling below freezing at night time, you could put the plants out during the day to get used to the sun and bring them indoors at night time to give them some protection.

I start putting my VFTs outside during the day when the temps get to about 40°F. They have no problem with light frosts either once acclimated to the outdoors. Just don't take a plant that's used to a nice cozzy 70° and expect it to handle freezing temps. If you do like Alvin Meister says and start putting them outside during the day now when you have nice weather, by summer they will be able to handle the sunlight without a problem and you'll have much happier plants too.

Oh yeah, my definition of nice weather for VFTs is temps 38°F or warmer and the wind isn't blowing too bad. Clouds are OK 'cause the light is still better than what they'd get in my house.

I'd acclimatise them if I were you.

In general, I don't really acclimatise large VFTs, because they can handle the sunburn, only to shoot up healthier, sun-loving leaves, but if they are but seedlings or tiny VFTs, the whole entire plant may die. One of my tiny VFTs simply fried up in the sun, while larger VFTs grumbled from being sunburnt, but slowly shot up new shoots.

Back