Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watering methods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too far from Huntington - I'm in Smithtown.

Isn't it still kind of cold in April to put them out?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omisgosh, that is close! That's just a short drive on Jericho Turnpike or 25A! Ever hear of Harborfields H.S.? Is Modells still out there or the Smithhaven Mall? Lets Go Mets!

Shouldn't be too cold. The average daily high for April should be from the low 50's at the beginning of the month, to ~65 by the end. Subtract out the daily lows, which would be from the freezing mark to mid-40's, that would be safe. VFT's come from North Carolina and while being warmer than LI, they do experience winter and freezes. They can handle it.

Check out this topic for supplemental and related guidance:

VFT seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I placed them in a large, circular tray, and filled the tray with 3/4 of an inch of water, and every 2 or 3 days would add more water.

I used to mist them from overhead DAILY, multiple times. I stopped doing this for fear of overwatering, but they are growing at the same rate as ever- I do believe it is difficult to overwater VFTs.

Bugweed suggested I use a dose of Superthrive, so I did that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've heard of harborfields. Modell's is still in the same shopping center (you know there is a tiny graveyard in there?) However it just sells sporting goods and is surronded by a home depot, barnes and noble, etc.

The smithhaven mall is still there - much improved then when you were there, most likely. Very "fancy" now, lol.

You wouldn't believe how crowded and clogged the Island has become. Very sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep each plant in it's own little 4" saucer, with about 1/2" of water in it. I let them soak up all the water, and leave it be for about half a day before I refill. I keep them in individual saucers so I can rotate them (they're currently in a window sil). Every other day or so I top-water as well.
    I use RO water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jsgossamer @ Mar. 08 2006,4:02)]You wouldn't believe how crowded and clogged the Island has become. Very sad.
    When I was growing up, we were in a brand new development, and there were still strawberry farms around. From what you say, it appears that Suffolk County is as developed as Nassau County was. I wonder if I'd have to go out to Riverhead or Montauk Pt. in order to have the same feel. Would you know if the Walt Whitman or TSS Malls are still there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walt Whitman is still there. Malls do well on Long Island these days. I'd say Suffolk is quite a bit like Nassau county was. You have to get past Selden before it starts to look more like the "country". Out east is still nice. Lots and lots of vineyards and still some farms left. Even that gets a bit crowded in summertime. It's the city's escape place. Driving is lots of fun too. Did you know that stop signs are "optional" on Long Island now? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're optional?!!!! But... but.... what about the children?! And accidents? Who came up with that one? I'd hate to ask what the L.I.E. is [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] It used to be referred to as a "parking lot". How's my favorite newspaper - Newsday? Do they still have the Suffolk Sun?

Um.... just to keep to the original topic a bit, have you come to any conclusions or plan of action for the VFT?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast