Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watering methods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIE? Oh, you mean the Long Island Distressway? Well the have a HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane now - and it's just as crowded as ever.

You should hear me cussing when these dumbhead blow through stop signs. It's too crowded to drive like that.

I think I'm just going to keep them in trays full of water and let them dry out in between. I'm afraid if I put them outside, I'll forget about them - so I'll see how they do on the sill first. I don't have to water from the top if I do the tray thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just fill up the plant's tray with around 2 inches of water, let it dry out and get sucked in by the plant, and leave it dry for several days before filling it up again.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My college roomate was from the Smithtown area! (Kings Park actually)
    I used to go out to LawnGuyLind fairly often..

sorry..was never a fan of LI..never understood how anyone could willingly live there.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I will never forget a college friend of mine (from Babylon LI) complaining, in all seriousness, that growing up in Babylon sucked because the nearest mall was 10 minutes away...and she was dead SERIOUS!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

its a different world out there...

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Carito @ Mar. 07 2006,4:32)]I do believe it is difficult to overwater VFTs.
    On the contrary it is very easy to overwater a vft Carito especially if the plant is growing in less than optimal conditions; they can rot very easily.

For the most part, vft grow naturally in very sandy soils that have slow moving water beneath the soil layer and are used to having some oxygen brought to the roots. Often times the largest specimens can be found growing in areas that have only a small surface layer of organic material covering a nearly pure sand growing base. The sand resembles fine sugar in these areas.

True they experience flooding naturally but not all the time. The conditions they grow best in are of the ebb and flow type where water slowly percolates through the roots. It's true that many growers keep their plants in water year round, but they usually monitor these water levels during peak dormancies. They are also more experienced growers so they know what to watch for.

It's also true that many vft can be found growing naturally in VERY wet conditions year round and are beautiful plants, some can even be found growing submerged, but plants growing wild in these conditions will not always respond to the same conditions in the home. In situ is a different beast altogether. I think beginners should err more toward the side of filling the tray with an inch or two of water, let it dry out, then refill again. This is a safe method

Bugweed, is the growing method you employ of the ebb and flow or drip irrigation type?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To emphasise and restate what Phil is saying is that we, as hobbyists, do what we can to mimic nature and cultivate these plants. At best, however, we provide an artificial environment that tends to lack some intangibles - such as water movement through the substrate. Another example is that we have to manually remove dead foliage. Nature takes care of that in other ways. We deal with mold. Nature doesn't seem to. We control a lot of the variables, but not all of them. This is very similar to the hobby of tropical fish. We provide pumps, heaters, filters, flake food, artificial lighting,...., as well as an environment that is far smaller that what they would have in nature. We deal with ich and bacterial infections, In nature, it far less common. We need to be cognizant of the limitations of what we provide for our living hobbies and their limitations.

Scott: The best pizza, Chinese food, bagels, bialys, and knishes come from LI (and NYC)! Think of LI as Irondequoit, Pittsford, Fairport, Gates-Chili... as being one right after another. Hey, when are ya coming to East Aurora? Maybe we can meet up at the Roycroft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent!!!

This really changed perspective on the way I take care of my plants.

Earlier this week I spotted one of my trays with a dry base, and freaked out and immediately poured water into it.

I'm going to cool it with the water and let the tray dry out between waterings.

Hope my plants didn't incur any rot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123