Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watering methods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is everybody watering there VFT's? There seems to be contradicting info about using the tray method. What do you guys do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During their growing season, I keep them in trays with 2" of water allowed to evaporate before rewatering. This works well for my growing conditions (plants individually potted and growing indoors under fluorescent lights).
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine in a bucket of minibog, outside, and bring it inside to the coldish attic for the winter. Buffalo, NY gets pretty cold to keep outside! VFT's thrive in swampy conditions, with lots of light. They do best when kept outside.

What / how would you like to grow them? Where are you living? Before I adopted my buckets of minibog, I used to have the pots sitting in plastice trays with water. I found that having a bucket filled with peat, sand, and LFS, retains the moisture more effectively, especially on hot summer days.

I also had the opportunity to bring home deionized water from the lab in which I worked, as well as a stream that ran behind our townhouse. Is provision of water an issue for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them on my windowsill in trays of distilled water. I live on Long Island. The window gets good sun. They are Home Depot VFT's so I'm a bit nervous that they are not very hardy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Chloroplast, I stand my vfts in between 1 and 2 inches of water and allow the tray to dry up before refilling. If left constantly in water that is not allowed to dry up vfts don't seem to thrive.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put mine on the back porch rail in regular plant trays or saucers. I put about to of water in the tray and occasionlly let it dry out before refilling it.

I think the important thing to know about watering VFTs is to keep the soil moist at all times. Their roots can tolerate a little dryness but not for long.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFT's are in a working bog. They are constantly watered by water flowing through the soil, very reminiscent of Green Swamp, North Carolina. The water in the holding tank is replenished every 3 days or so, and continuosly pumped through the bog 24/7/365.
    Plants experience standard dormancies, and grow like weeds. BUGWEEDS!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jsgossamer @ Mar. 06 2006,12:33)]I live on Long Island.
    I would strongly suggest putting the VFT's outside by April. Um... Where on the Island.... if I may ask? I may be in the Buffalo area, but I grew up in Huntington. There are several members on TerraForums that reside on LI. One of them actually went to my high school! And apparently, I was in the same graduating class as his older brother. Why do I think of wings when I see your forum name?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast