What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just don't understand!!!!

I've been looking, and looking, and looking, and can't seem to find the answer to this fairly simple question:

How exactly does a VFT lure the bugs to it's traps? Is it bait smell? pretty colors? Luck? Any ideas here, folks?

Thanks for reading~~ Corey

It's smell. The traps make nector.

Nectar is simplifying it, but for the most part, that about covers it. If you look close at the margins of the trap near the "teeth" you will see what appears to be beads of water. Its not water. NECTAR!!!!! Color plays a small part, but does help.

Plants look different to bugs. Some of what they see is in the ultraviolet.

VFT's eat bugs?LOL
smile_n_32.gif

Jerry

I have heard that red traps do seem to reflect more ultra violet light. I can't confirm that one way or the other though.

That sounds correct bugweed. Since the colors you seed on the plant are what is not being absorbed, but ratehr reflected off the plant then red being in the violet color range. IT makes sence to me that reds would reflect more ultra violet than greens or other colors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 14 2006,12:29)]That sounds correct bugweed.  Since the colors you seed on the plant are what is not being absorbed, but ratehr reflected off the plant then red being in the violet color range.  IT makes sence to me that reds would reflect more ultra violet than greens or other colors.
Actually, reds are about as far away from the violet range as you can get. Remember the old "ROY G BIV" deal for the order of the colors in the spectrum? Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. On the other side of Violet is Ultra Violet, and way back on the other side of Red is Infa-Red, both are invisible to the human eye, but insects can see in both of those ranges.

Back