Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get the seeds

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd spend more on repotting it in clean medium and nursing it along than the plant is worth. And as Jim says, it will likely die from stress caused by being watered with tap water/fertilizer and insufficient light. If you get it, cut off the flower stalk so it will redirect nutrients into healing instead of seeds and dieing.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I was at the store the other day and I saw a VFT that sent up a flower stalk. The plant looked pretty bad but somehow it is flowering.
    Chances are that it's flowering in response to a) the tissue culture environment / aftereffects, or b) as a "last resort" response that plants have. Some people note declined health of VFTs after they flower, so as Jim said above, the plant probably wont be a very happy camper. Though these plants aren't known for being straightforward!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at it this way. If you let it flower and get seed, but then the plant does you just got all the seed for babies, provided they are firtile. If you cut the flower spike your may get a healthy plant then it stillmay die. I got 3 VFT from wally world that looks pretty decent to be honest. 2 were on clearance for half off and one was reg price of 5 bucks So I spent 10 bucks on 3 plants and 2 are in spike. I planted them in a minibog and left the spikes on. They are in full sun now and so car I havn't seen any sunburn or dieback of leaves and have new leaves growing so I;m going with it. Hopefully will get seed so I can fill out the minibog with typicals. If the plant was cheap I would leave the spike and attempt for seeds. If the plant dies your not out much especialy if the seeds are good.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 14 2006,3:27)]The flower will then dies and the ovary located at the base of the flower should begin to swell. When it is ripe it will burst open releaseing the seeds. You need to catch it right before it bursts open to harvest the seeds.
    How do you know when this explosion is going to happen?
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I need to know is when to pick the seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the seed ripens, the paper-thin covering over the capsule will turn from green to brown/black and eventually split open showing the black shiny seeds. Once the covering splits, the seed can escape -- so it is a good idea to harvest seed before they fall out. Here are a few links that will give you the idea.
    http://www.honda-e.com/IPW_6_PhotoGa...a/Ph4_1011.htm
    http://www3.plala.or.jp/Dionaea-Club...seed/index.htm
    http://www.carnivoren.com/dio_dio7.htm

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you try leaf cuttings? Faster way to get plantlets. But if you want to try seeds just for fun...give it a go!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 10 2006,5:56)]Why don't you try leaf cuttings? Faster way to get plantlets. But if you want to try seeds just for fun...give it a go!
    I've done that. The plants it produces are as small as plants from seeds. I also don't like to disturb healthy plants. I will do cuttings on cultivars. I heard the seeds from cultivars simply make regular VFT's. I would like to expand my collection of things like Red Dragons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12