User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My experience with **********s.com!!! (VFTs order)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hullo:

First of all, I ordered 3 of their Bare Root VFTs, and this is what the description says:

"Understanding bare root:
    Though the bare root plant option is the least expensive way to acquire new plants, it does come with more effort and responsibility. When the plants arrive, they immediately need to be potted in the appropriate soil (available here), watered, and pruned. Because of the sensitive nature of some bare root plants, leaves may die quickly, before new growth appears. Additionally, there is a higher failure rate with bare root plants. Because of this, many customers acquire more plants than may be necessary for their project. Please note: due to the nature of bare root plants, we only guarantee the live arrival of the items. We include specific planting instructions to help you successfully grow your plants. "

This part is what gets to me:

" Additionally, there is a higher failure rate with bare root plants. "

I find this almost objectionable, because while true in nature, almost didn't seem to apply to the VFTs I received from **********s.com! In fact, out of the zillions of online vendors of VFTs I've ordered from, **********s.com has the most safe, secure, healthy, gentle way of shipping bare roots I had EVER experienced, much less, imagined!

I was very beguiled by this forumer's post on his ********** VFTs (scroll to the middle of his post)

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=20567

And ordered the bare roots, thinking maybe my items would be similar as pictured on the **********.com website. The traps looked fairly large, and the plant averaged about 5 traps.

Disclaimer: Due to my drug-addict personality (and the money I slowly saved up working retail a few months back), I go "all out" on my hobbies, flinging myself to all ends of the spectrum and devoting my time obsessive-compulsively; I ended up ordering from numerous online vendors and got ripped off by many of them, hence I became a very harsh critic of these sites.

The PFT VFTs were about half the size as pictured, but perhaps TWENTY TIMES more in profusion of traps and growth!

Out of all the online vendors I have dealt with, I can honestly and genuinely say **********s.com deliver true BANG FOR THE BUCK!!!!! I think it's a LIE that they write "3.99" for a Bare Root Plant, it's more like 3.99 for 5 plants in one!

with my hand to scale size.

all of them were potted in 2 inch clay pots.

[/b]

I am totally jealous of you guys who ordered during **********s.com's famous bare root sale back then! If only I chanced upon this decadent world of carnivorous plants at that time! hrumph!!! I would've spent $20 ordering bare roots for $1 each. crrrrazy.

-Caro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice endorsement Caro.
    A couple of suggestions. You will find the 2-inch pots are too small for adult VFTs. Soil in small pots can dry out very quickly. Clay pots tend to evaporate water quickly and accumulate salts. I suggest that you migrate to 4-inch plastic pots.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 16 2006,1:27)]I suggest that you migrate to 4-inch plastic pots.
    Or a large whiskey barrel... or two!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 16 2006,6:38)]
    Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 16 2006,1:27)]I suggest that you migrate to 4-inch plastic pots.
    Or a large whiskey barrel... or two!
    Just you wait until you see pics of my VFT minibog project... Just as you described (whiskey barrel)!

Though I have never ordered from PFT (nor have I ever ordered VFTs online), I knew PFT is the place to get them for very reasonable, competitive prices. We're offered this wonderful opportunity to use the forums, and it doesn't surprise me that their plants and packing are top-notch, too. OK, maybe that didn't make any sense...

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 16 2006,1:27)]Nice endorsement Caro.
    A couple of suggestions. You will find the 2-inch pots are too small for adult VFTs. Soil in small pots can dry out very quickly. Clay pots tend to evaporate water quickly and accumulate salts. I suggest that you migrate to 4-inch plastic pots.
    Drat! I should've done that earlier. The reason why I suddenly switched to clay pots was because they were half the cost of plastic ones that I found, and the smallest size the plastic ones came in were 4 inches, and at nearly a dollar apiece! The clay pots were only 30-50 cents each.

I had no idea, however, of the nature of the clay pots and how they suck the water out of their environment...

in fact, on the rim of some of my clay pots, some type of weird, whitish, slimy sediment was forming, eugh.

time to start saving dough and shelfing out for the plastic pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google "plastic pot" and you will find several sources. Some that have 4-inch green plastic pots for about 13 cents each ($3.25/25 pots).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Google "plastic pot" and you will find several sources. Some that have 4-inch green plastic pots for about 13 cents each ($3.25/25 pots).
    Furthermore, you can usually get standard pots for free from nurseries and the like because they don't need 'em any more. I've always been to shy to enquire, but since the past year I can get a good supply of standard pots in masse for free from the greenhouses where I take my horticulture class.

I feel for you- I always hated buy pots! You'll see that a lot of CP folks have come up with creative ways to manage; yogurt containers, milk containers, and plastic food/storage containers just to name a few.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how much were you paid to say all that? Did PFT trow in a free plant or somethin? Oh I get it, you wanna be a MOD? j/k
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast