Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Mouth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought i had purchased a VFT from walmart that was a Bigmouth, after i got educated on the cultivators and crappy walmart brands... boy was i wrong!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

I may not know alot about it but these plant have a deep bloody red color inside the trap along with the teeth. And on the outside, it have a red band under the lip of the trap. From what i saw some big mouth pic it have a red band just like this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lytraps005.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lytraps003.jpg

These pic are not mine i am borrowing it to give you guys an image of wat i saw.
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of plants that appear to look like Big Mouth - after all it just happens to have bright red big traps and grow in a tight clumping rosette. Unless the plant is a labelled though, you cannot just call it Big Mouth because it happens to look a bit like one. The plant originates from Triffid Park, so it's unlikely a DIY store in the US will be selling it, especially unlabelled.

Dentate/dente can apply to any shark toothed cultivar according to the ICPS, so it safe to call any such plant Dentate, even if they aren't genetically identical. I don't make the rules up!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree of what you said. Without a lable then we can never be for sure it is a big mouth but it doesn't mean that it cannot be a big mouth either. I should have said, the store have VFT that look like the "Big Mouth" in a lot of ways but it may not be.
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of 'Big Mouth' from Triffid Park. These were from last Spring after settling in and putting out new growth. Not all the traps were fully colored up yet. I also grow in about 50% shade on that side of the greenhouse. Not sure just how big they will get. These were nice size bulbs a few years old but capable of getting larger. They remained very compact and squat with wide leaves all Summer long.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This picture is the plants from the store that Jeff is talking about. These were the 2 healthiest plants they had in stock. This store also has a small selection of tiny Nepenthes and a whole box full of some unidentified Drosera (I think they are D intermedia or spatulata.. some sort of rosetted spoonleaf plant) and also a few D. adelae plants.

Cheers
    Steve

Full sized pic
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what point can a grower decide to name their own variation? What if you have a plant that's identical to an existant line, but not from that line? Do you still call it a "Typical" or should you call it an "ES-1 (Typical with dark red interiors, and red line on exterior of trap a la "Big Mouth")"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony-AMAZING "Big Mouths" !!!

Here is a shot of my "Big Mouth" about 1.5 years ago.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast