Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFT instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, Nurserymen's Exchange (AKA "Wal-mart VFTs"). Most of my VFTs come from them. Remove from the tube, of course, and repot only if it -needs- it. I keep most of mine in the small pots in a 4" saucer half full of water, and refill when they use it all up. For the few I've repotted so far what I do is run a butter knife around the edge between the soil and the pot, then pull out the whole thing, plant and all. I nestle that into fresh, wet, sphagnum peat in the larger pot. Minimal root disturbance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some one help me with this. The Walmart's and Home Depot's around here sell VFT's. The directions I've seen on them are vague or incomplete but not wrong. Why would someone give instructions that would kill the plant? They must know the right way. They did get them mature enough to put them up for sale. Some of the things I've heard like in this thread, the plants would have never made it to the store. None of the people I know can believe how healthy my plants are. They think it is impossible to grow VFT's. This makes me sick.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I know for sure, but there are the people who are growing them from tissue culture and there are the people who buy them. And there are those who manufacture the pots and the those who wholesale and finally the retailers. Perhaps there's too many entities involved and a lot gets lost in the translation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Jim.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim may be right, but there may be a more sinister explanation. Perhaps the intention is to have the buyer not be able to successfully grow them so they will try again and again. Thus, buying more plants.

But, the more likely explanation is that, many, if not most, people that buy plants are impulse buyers. They see something interesting and they buy it without any intention of actually growing it. Look at all the little trays of plant "color" that sell for a buck or two. Some of these plants may actually get planted in the soil, but they will lose their nice greenhouse flowers in a few days. Many people buy the nice flowering plants simply to sit on the table or window sill for a few days until the flowers die and the plant and pot then just get tossed in the trash. That's called the consumer society, folks. It is what keeps the economic engine chuggin' and the poverty farm/greenhouse laborer coming across the border.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could cite statistics for buy and fail rate, But I can't. Seems as though there should be some correlation between impulse buying and discouragement. I know I was very discouraged after failing 4 times in 28 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12