Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFT instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine brought me a VFT from a nursery. The container has a few instructions on it i wasn't sure of and I figured I see what you guys think.

-plants thrive in humidity greater than 50%. Placing gravel in the drainage dish increases humidity. Plants should sit on gravel, not in water.

-If transplanting, use a potting mix similiar to African violet mix.

-use a dilute fertilizer once a month.

These are dumb instructions - right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Categorically dumb.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first instruction is tolerable, but not wonderful. The second one (African Violet mix) may be dangerous. The third one is just outright crazy! I'm surprised that they didn't say to use tap water. Was this Botanical Wonders or Little Pot Of Horrors or...? I don't understand why they don't understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot with their product.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jsgossamer @ Mar. 21 2006,1:56)]
    -plants thrive in humidity greater than 50%. Placing gravel in the drainage dish increases humidity. Plants should sit on gravel, not in water.
    Mine do fine in humidity of 25% and sometimes lower during the summer. I keep them in a shallow tray of water.

Quote[/b] ]-If transplanting, use a potting mix similiar to African violet mix.
    Sounds like they want you to kill the plant so you'll go back and get another. African violet mix often cantains fertilizer that will burn a CPs roots. Best to use pure peat mixed with sand or perlite for drainage and to keep the peat from compacting.

Quote[/b] ]-use a dilute fertilizer once a month.
    This one is debated off and on over the years. Some recommend it and some don't. I don't do it simply because my plants catch plenty of bugs during the summer and I don't think the fertilizer is worth the risk of killing my plants for the very slight benefit that it might provide.

Quote[/b] ]These are dumb instructions - right?
    Pretty much sums it up.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the "My vft care sheet" thread at the top of this topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I've taken on the task of printing up single page (double-sided) fliers to distribute at the stores selling CPs.

Incidentally, would anyone want to help me with other CP caresheets, like Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 21 2006,4:54)]Was this Botanical Wonders or Little Pot Of Horrors or...? I don't understand why they don't understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot with their product.
    No, the little pot of horrors one wasn't so bad. This is something from a place called bloomrite.com. It was in an enclosed plastic tube with "Venus Fly Trap - I'm Hungry" on it. So stupid. Also, it looks like it's in a 2 inch pot. Should I replant it into a bigger one or wait?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessary to repot it unless there is something very wrong with the media itself - and there shouldn't be. They don't have a developed root system and don't derive nourishment from the media. And unlike what we know about other plants or tropical fish, competition for space doesn't seem to be an issue. There has been much debate about when to repot and a lot of people do it during the winter, when the plant has stopped growing and hence doesn't notice anything. Expereinced growers will do it either every couple years or at any time. But they also know to take a "plug" of plant and media into a bigger pot, so that its roots aren't disturbed. They will also do so when the media compacts too much, over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast