Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White/Cream Dots on VFT Leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hi all,

I should have perceived that there was a problem earlier with the old leaves of the VFT dying off so quickly. Today, I went to check the plant and here are the symptoms:

1. There are white/cream dots under the leaves and on the traps.

2. I tried to rub these off and they do not come off easily, though I think they can come off.

3. On some of the leaves, there are white fluffy shapes (no longer mere dots).

4. The old leaves are dying off quickly.

5. New growth continues, but the new leaves are small.

6. There are a LOT of ants crawling in and out of the soil.

I have been growing the VFT for 1 year; it's always been healthy and it's only recently that this infestation happened.

Pls help. I'll try to post a pic when it stops raining. I've isolated the affected plants for now.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have some scales on your vft, both the regular type and the cottony type. They are similar to aphids both in behavior and feeding. Most likely the infestation will grow, killing the vft, if the problem is not resolved quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures to show the problem:

VFT 1

3 Feb 06:

Around 1 Mar 06 (it's the plant at centre right, half-shown only):

Today!!!

VFT 2

3 Feb 06:

Around 1 Mar 06 (top left, still looking strong):

Today!!!

But anyway, here are the "spots" underneath the leaves and traps! They're so well-hidden from the top-view that they went unnoticed for at least a month!!! That's the period in which the plants started to slow on growth and put out smaller leaves. And to think I thought they were going dormant because of the overcast skies we've been getting!

Can someone please tell me what these dots are? I've isolated the affected plants and cut away as many of the dead leaves and affected leaves as possible.

Thanks!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More pics:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT 3

1 Feb 06:

Around 1 Mar 06:

Today!!!

And for this one, not only is it infected with the spots, it's also most definitely infected by mealy bugs!

Good riddance!

As can be seen, I've put the whole pot underwater. But given the scale of the infestation, should I repot the plant after 48 hrs of submerging?

Also, will this (putting underwater) work to get rid of the dots, spots as well?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene for scale and mealybug, whitefly and aphids. Submerging for 48 hours is not enough for mealybugs. Want trouble? Avoid using the Orthene while trying home remedies. Scale and mealies deserve the best------DEATH! ORTHENE will kill them dead, and protect the plant for a while after use. USE it.!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bugweed! I will... but I've not had luck finding Orthene for sale in Singapore before. I'll consult the local community on where to purchase this. In the event that this is unavailable, can I use anything else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acephate is the main ingredient for killing mealy's whitefly, aphids, or scale. Look for that ingredient in an insect killer, and apply by spraying. Systemic, it becomes a part of the plant and will protect it for many days after the initial spraying.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast