What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIONAEA PHOTO THREAD

Here are some of my big mouth traps, the largest one is a little over an inch.
Bigmouth6.jpg

Bigmouth7.jpg

Bigmouth8.jpg

Bigmouth9.jpg

Pink Venus
PinkVenus1.jpg

Red Dragon
Reddragon1.jpg

D. Aliciae
alicae.jpg

Big mouth? -BIGGER- Mouth.
Someone gave me this one over the weekend because, "It's so big!" The traps are all around 1 1/2", save for the smallest one. Next to it is my Sawtooth (dentate with "fused teeth"), in a three inch pot.

giantvft.jpg

(yeah, I know the focus sucks. It's not the best camera)

woah Bobz, that last pic looks like someone caught off the flower stock of an older and more mature vft and just stuck it on a small wilting plant
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and cprus, thats a new growinf medium I've seen, lfs and sand, i gotta try it, i've heard of sand and peat, lfs and perlite, lfs and orchid bark but that's new and i'm definitly gonna try it.

Some updated pictures - theres new leaves/traps coming up in full force!

twoplants.jpg

twoplants_macro.jpg

Hears a few from up north.
NOID grocery store stuff, looking nice though,  under lights. All three were in the same pot. It helps to pick out the healthy and multiple plants ones, for the price of one. Some little fellers from seed to the side.
PANA0196.jpg

Same, this one has just been moved to the window sill.
PANA0199.jpg

This is a low giant spent most of the winter sitting on a window sill. I just repotted it and put it under fluorescents for a boost.
PANA01.jpg

This low giant was received the same time as the upper 1" trapped one. It has recovered from shipping much differently.
PANA0187.jpg

This ( cant remember the name it has the short jagged teeth) spent the winter on the window sill. I have planted 4 BM bulbs that were very small in the nice growing sphag. Hopefully this will keep them alive. You may be able to see a BM trap at7:00
PANA0200.jpg

Enjoy
Stephen

Dente or Sawtooth w/e theirs a ton of contraversial convos on the cultivator names.

cheers

Dente/Dentate = short triangular teeth
Sawtooth/Dentata = many bristled teeth

smile.gif

I will have to post a pick after a trap matures.
Stephen

Venus Flytrap "Vigorous" sunning on the back patio with Mozart and a beverage, Sunday, April 23, 2006.
smile.gif

Another photo of VFT "Vigorous," April, 2006

Very nice plants xscd.
dewy

I love the Pictures of the Sarr's Flowers
smile_m_32.gif

Only a CP addict would do that!

Cheers!

I put these in my intro thread so please excuse me for repeating mice elf.

I just started CP collecting about 2 weeks ago with a batch of vfts (typs, reds and dentae), a few dews and a nepenthes. I bought 7 vfts from lowes because they were in amazingly good shape and I wanted to practice settign up a minibog for the 8 vfts I ordered online. However my online order was delayed so the shipper gave me 24 plants instead!!! Nice of him!
So here's my muddling with bogs and I would like to say that you people helped cause Ive been lurking your blog for weeks. And any mistakes I made were solely my own... unless I read it here [/img]
smile_m_32.gif

FYI I used pots that are approx 6" deep & 12" across, 2" deep trays 14" across for water, 50/50 sand peat mix and a top dressing of peat(orchid sphag/peat moss).

this is the batch from lowes:

Picture_005-750.jpg

These are the online plants.

Some dentae with 4 typs in the middle that I got from dangerousplants, small compared to the lowes (much younger I would guess) but thriving madly, grow like weeds, can see the difference from am to pm:

Picture_004-750.jpg

and finally a ring of reds around 4 typs, from same seller, bigger than the dentae but still small, tons of traps coming up that appear to be getting bigger than those currently seen:

Picture_003-750.jpg

These pics were taken the day after setup and over the past week I can tell you they seem to be enjoying their new home, possibly the fastest growing plants Ive ever seen... then again I cannot think of when previously I have spent much time trying to watch plants grow.

Cant wait to see how they look in a few months!

Here are some pics of my typical VFT.

typ1.jpg

typ2.jpg

Some recent growth pictures.

fullPlants.jpg

The shorter traps/leaves have been dieing off and these taller longer bigger traps/leaves have been taking their place.

newGrowthMacro.jpg

Dang, great looking flytraps everyone. A well-grown flytrap is always a pleasure to behold.

MDPotter wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]FYI I used pots that are approx 6" deep & 12" across, 2" deep trays 14" across for water, 50/50 sand peat mix and a top dressing of peat(orchid sphag/peat moss).

Hi MDPotter--

Your plants should grow great in those planters and planting mix. With 6" depth and lots of soil, they have room to extend their roots and spread out into divisions when they are so inclined, and the greater soil mass buffers against the soil temperature extremes that so many potted plants must endure and which can sometimes be difficult and damaging.

You might consider allowing the water tray to completely dry and the planting medium to dry out to moist before adding more water, instead of keeping the planting medium saturated and soggy all the time.

But of course be attentive to your plants to make sure they never dry out completely. And if you are going to be away from them for awhile, a water tray reservoir is a good way to help ensure that they will not dry out while you are gone.

Great looking plants.
smile.gif

It would be nice to occasionally see photos of their growth and progress.

Thanks, yes I have been advised often to let the trays dry before refilling, so I have been doing that diligently:)

And I will definitely post pics of their progress, maybe in another week or two, lots of new growth coming up so Im going for the before/after effect, the difference should be dramatic especially for the typicals and the reds (the dentae are smaller/younger, not as 'impressive').
I have one question though, with several of the plants of all three varieties, there are little baby flytrap plants under/next to them, should I dig these plants back up and separate the little tiny toddler plants from the bigger plants or wait til next year and just let them be?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have one question though, with several of the plants of all three varieties, there are little baby flytrap plants under/next to them, should I dig these plants back up and separate the little tiny toddler plants from the bigger plants or wait til next year and just let them be?

Vegetative division (baby VFTs growing from the side of a more mature VFT bulb) is a natural, common occurrence, and so long as they get plenty of sun and have some room to grow, they will benefit in my opinion by remaining with their parent VFT bulb for at least one growing season.

So if I were in your position I would leave the plants alone and let them grow larger and stronger this year, supported partially by their parent bulb to which they may still be connected.

Then next spring, when the VFTs are beginning to break dormancy (which happens the last half of March in eastern New Mexico, US), and only if the pot looks too crowded or there is some real reason, need or desire to transplant them, I would uproot them, wash them, gently separate them from their parents' bulbs, clean off the dead leaves and other dead material from the bulbs using long pointed tweezers and small pointed scissors, then pot them singly or in groups into new medium and planters.

That's just me-- Others may have different advice.
smile.gif

Best wishes--

Thanks Xscd,

good, i dont have to muck about with them:)

I forgot I already a took a couple of recent pics and had posted them in the 'introduce yourself' forum, so here they are again.

These are different angles on the reds, mainly because their colors photograph really well (and, as I said previously, their growth has been remarkable):

(The flower is from one of the typicals Ive put in the center of the pot.)

Picture_001-750.jpg

Picture_005-750nw1.jpg

And here's links to the full-sized versions:

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_001.jpg

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_005.jpg

Back