What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hope im doing this right

well i am hoping to get into the cp stuff - i bought 2 vft think they are Red Piranha i fed them potato buggs, now i am wizer and will switch buggs.
guss my ? is i want more but do not know what to get i live on the coast of Washington State, not much sun hear - i will keep them in my office at work year round it is 80 deg F. and about 40% humid 24-7 any ideas (sundews, more vft) thank you for any responces

Most carnivorous plants like to get as much sunlight as possible. If you have a window that you can place them near or a bright desk lamp that you can put them directly under that will help. Some, like Venus Flytraps, will need a winter dormancy if you want them to stay healthy over the long term. Plants that may do well in an office are Drosera spatulata, D. adelae and D. capensis to name a few. If you don't mind not being able to see the trapping mechanism and don't mind cute flowers you can try Utricularia. U. sandersonii in particular is known for its flowers that resemble a bunny face. There are more, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

thanks for all the help carnivour kid I will look into thos

A compact flourescent daylight bulb will plug into a regular light socket, and then you can put the light on a timer so you don't have to worry about turning it on and off all the time.

The temperature is fine for now, but over the winter the plant will require much cooler temperatures to accomodate its dormancy. Ignoring dormancy will probably kill it.

Give it distilled water. The best way is to put the pot in a dish or bowl, and just keep an inch or two of water in there, rather than pouring water directly into the pot.

Back