Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Misting Help

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I mist my VFTs, is to look busy so I won't get stuck doing something else, like taking out the trash.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Does anyone mist their VFTs? I was wondering if this really helps.
    No and probably not. Misting raises local humidity for only as long as it takes for the mist to evaporate (not long). Plus, VFTs don't require much humidity to thrive.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of the comments. I grow VFT in New Mexico, US, where the humidity is rarely higher than the mid teens percent, and sometimes down into the single digits. I do nothing to intentionally increase the humidity in my VFT growing space, although in the summer we do use an evaporative cooler in the sun room / greenhouse.

When I place my VFTs outside to feed (we have trillions of billions of dairy-generated flies around here), the only precaution I take is to keep them out of the direct wind, which on these grassy, naturally treeless plains is often strong, hot and very, very dry. Other than that, the low humidity doesn't bother the VFTs at all (I do let my new ones adapt gradually to lower humidity though, and try not to stress them too bad all at once), and they are all not just surviving but thriving. The idea of planting a VFT in a terrarium seems odd and unnecessary to me personally. If I can grow them here where there is almost no humidity, then people ought to be able to grow them almost anywhere (except antarctica, perhaps ) if the soil is kept moist, right?

--Just my small addition to the discussion
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12