Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also consider that your mold may be mold, but then again, just might be the start of a nice carpet moss. It can sometimes look like mold when it first starts. Can also overgrow young plants, and kill them.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks lads.

Do you know where the mould comes from? And how I could take steps to stop it in future?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it seems helpful to remember the following regarding VFTs--

The sunnier and warmer it is, and the more the plant is growing, the more moist it can be.

The darker and cooler it is, and the less the plant is growing, the less moist it should be.

Problems such as the fungal problem you mentioned can happen when the plant is too soggy for too long, and is in chilly or cold temperatures.

What can make the situation worse is when the plant is not growing much nor very actively (like during dormancy), or when the plant grows too fast and becomes weak (like when it has too much water and not enough sun).

During dormancy or when it is darker and cool, try to keep the medium just moist, even on the dry side of moist for VFTs. Give it more water only when there is more light and warmer temperatures.

These are just my own personal guidelines. They may or may not be helpful to you. Best wishes and good luck--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say welcome. the advice provided has been great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Its all been very helpful so far!

so I've bought some insecticide and Fungicide, fertilizer free, and sprayed it throughorly (spelling.) A seem to of gotten quite a bit on the traps on one side though, this shouldn't cause too much of a problem should it?
    And also will this just being sprayed on the top be effective on the larvae which seem to be down underneith the soil?

finally (hopefully)

If its soggy or just too wet, which is the reason I thought I had mould.
    What would be the best thing to do? Just let it dry out a little? How dry until it starts affecting the plant etc.

Sorry about all the questions its just I'm new to VFTs and want to be successful in growing them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    And also will this just being sprayed on the top be effective on the larvae which seem to be down underneith the soil?
    If they're just fungus gnats, don't worry too much about them.

Fungus Gnats - Information and ID

In fact, fungus gnats are great food for drosera. I had a moderate infestation of fungus gnat larvae and adults last year in one of my orchids, and I put my big drosera capensis next to it and it feasted on them for a couple weeks before they were gone. It was odd and funny to see the new mature fungus gnats make their first flight straight into the drosera and get caught immediately in a drop of the "dew," as though the drosera were a magnet of some sort.

To get rid of the fungus gnats, it helps to keep the plant on the dry side. Overwatering promotes both fungus (the white stuff you mentioned sounds like it might be fungus) and fungus gnats. I got rid of the ones in my greenhouse just by lowering the water to that orchid. I would try the same thing (within limits) to a VFT.

Remember that a VFT can be drier than you think it should be and grow just fine, or even thrive once it develops a better, deeper and more extensive root system, and that itself is encouraged by keeping the VFT just moist, not soggy for very long.

I know everybody's getting tired of me harping about this single point (treating VFTs like moist, grassy savannah plants (which they are) and not swamp dwellers), so I apologize--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank alot.

I think that covers everything so far, so thanks alot everyone, although I'm still happy for more tips to come in.

As for the larvae i've not seem them for about a week so I don't know if they are still there under the soil or what.

Although I did try to dry the plant out for 3-4 days so maybe that got rid of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I've never come across mould, but it may be due to the old peat you see the plants sitting in in garden centres (if you bought it from a shop).

It shouldn't do any harm, but I would recommend repotting the whole thing, especially if you've been watering it with boiled tap water (number one myth that that will magicaly make all the bad stuff disappear - it concentrates it!).

Get hold of some Irish Peat Moss and repot it. Use rainwater and keep the plant in tray with a couple of centimetres of water in it at all times). VFTs are bog plants and like it wet.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12