Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me W/ My VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CopcarFC, uglypho --> Do you both grow your VFTs in colonies, in larger containers, or in containers or beds sunk into the ground or as a raised-bed bog?

If so, the larger planting area and planting-media quantity act as a buffer and moderates the heating effects of the sun on the soil and root zone, right?

I would love to try to grow Venus Flytraps outside. But here in New Mexico at 4000 ft., if I were to place an individual Venus Flytrap in a small conventional planting container outside for more than a few hours when the sky has few or no clouds, the sun would heat the container so hot that the roots and bulb of a Venus Flytrap would very likely bake and the plant would die. Unfortunately, this information comes from my own experience. Even if I were to plant in a large container or sunken artificial bog, there are other problems where I live, including high winds that are very dry and hot, periodic sandstorms caused by those winds and the lack of trees and topographical windbreaks, and extremely low humidity.

I have no idea how Helldragon4356's VFT is potted--the container size and planting mix, for example--and I have no idea whether my own comments are helpful to him or not, although I hope some of them are. But fortunately he has received a number of varied viewpoints and advice and hopefully some of it along with his own observations and best judgment will help him make some good decisions regarding the plant.

Good luck with your VFT, Helldragon4356.
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far all my VFT's have survived wether they were left in the tiny Lowes cube, repotted into a bigger pot, or planted in my bog. I've had no problems growing any VFT in high temps/low humidity. I've never had to sink my pots into the ground. I just make sure the pots have at least an inch of water in the tray, havent lost a VFT yet.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    So far all my VFT's have survived wether they were left in the tiny Lowes cube, repotted into a bigger pot, or planted in my bog. I've had no problems growing any VFT in high temps/low humidity.
    Wow! Great-- I wonder if the higher altitude where I live, and the corresponding lower amount of atmospheric buffer for sunlight, has anything to do with the problems I have.

Even if I were to set planters in water trays outside (which I have done), the sides of the containers just get too hot, even if they are not dark colored (why commercial nursery containers are often black or dark green I just can't understand!), and I have lost some plants and others have had "near-death experiences."
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Mexico is alot different from Southern California. Mainly it's hotter and a whole lot drier in the summer than the worst parts of Southern California. Helldragon4356, if you could tell me what city you live in, I could give you a very definitive answer on whether or not VFT's can thrive outdoors in your area. You just have to remember to slowly acclimatize your VFTs. Go for morning sun first. Or partly cloudy days. Increase exposure by half an hour every 2 days. Leo Song's VFTs could grow perfectly fine outdoors without a lath house, unless he's growing plants recently out of TC. In the entire LA basin and the vast San Diego coastal plain, VFT's will excel outdoors. The basin and coastal plain extends for 20 miles inland in some areas and up to 8-10 miles inland in the steeper areas. I don't live in either the nice basin nor the Diego coastal plain (I live about 30 miles inland), and my VFTs do well outside year round, loving the hot sunny summers. This site has detailed info and archive on my temps, humidity, and dewpoint for the past 8 years.Temecula weather/climate archives
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (xscd @ April 29 2006,8:26)]
    Quote[/b] ]
    So far all my VFT's have survived wether they were left in the tiny Lowes cube, repotted into a bigger pot, or planted in my bog. I've had no problems growing any VFT in high temps/low humidity.
    Wow! Great-- I wonder if the higher altitude where I live, and the corresponding lower amount of atmospheric buffer for sunlight, has anything to do with the problems I have.

Even if I were to set planters in water trays outside (which I have done), the sides of the containers just get too hot, even if they are not dark colored (why commercial nursery containers are often black or dark green I just can't understand!), and I have lost some plants and others have had "near-death experiences."
    Hmm, you could be right. Last year I had 2 Cobra Lilys out there with my VFT's in a glased/undrained ceramic pot sitting in full sun. They both survived and are back out there now (I brought them indoors just to have a very cool looking windowsill plant) and you know how CL's hate hot roots.

So maybe you altitude has a lot to do with it.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everybody! Thanks for all the different view points! I have one more question! Do I have to worry about rain? Should i bring them inside when it rains or just leave them out?
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave em out! VFTs love the rain. For my plants, rain washes away dust accumulation. So what part of Sou Cali do are you located? You got an exiciting time ahead of you.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Riverside near March Airforce Base
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast