Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me W/ My VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please Help Me! I live in Southern California where it is beginning to get hotter and hotter! Where should I grow my new VFT? I've had one before and put it outdoors only to find it baked in 2 days. I also have a terrarium set up inside for my other plants. What should I do?
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leo Song at Cal State Fullerton grew his VFTs in a lath house. They did quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats a lath house?

----------------

----------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lath house - a structure consisting of a frame supporting strips of wood which are spaced to provide about 50% shade.
    Here are some photo links
    http://www.rosebay.org/chapterweb/ro...plathhouse.jpg
    http://www.rosebay.org/chapterweb/ro...lathhouse2.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. But could I also grow it in a terrarium directly underneath a flourescent light

----------------

----------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    Where should I grow my new VFT? I've had one before and put it outdoors only to find it baked in 2 days.
    Helldragon, what do you mean, "baked"? Do you mean that the soil (planting medium) dried out completely and the VFT dried up and died? Or do you mean that the sun heated the pot so much that the soil temperature cooked the roots of the VFT causing it to die. Or something else?

Here are some things you can try:

1) Don't shock the plant. Let it slowly get used to direct sunlight and the outdoors. It needs time to adapt. So start with not much time outside, and increase the outside-time a little each time.

2) When it is outside, place the pot in a tray or deep saucer of water (rainwater or distilled or reverse osmosis water, of course, not tap water) so it can suck up more water to replenish what is lost in the heat and breeze and keep its leaves nice and moist.

3) Put the VFT's planting container inside another larger container with perlite in between, to shade and insulate the sides of the VFT's pot from the direct sunlight and keep the roots from baking.

Just some ideas-- Here in New Mexico, US, the sun is blazing and intense at this altitude (4050 ft. above sea level). The wind is strong, and very hot and dry. So I have to take special precautions with my VFTs, just like I suggested above. They grow very well here if I don't keep them outside all day, and if I protect them from the wind as much as possible. In addition, after trying all sorts of planting containers, I now plant all my VFTs in the new, ultra-light and insulating polyurethane foam planters. VFTs (at least mine) love these planters.

Best wishes--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be no problem with growing them outside. I grow all my VFT's outside, year round, in Texas. It easily gets 100+ outside and my plants have no problems with it.

You must have done something else to kill your plants. But if you really want to, you can grow them in a terrarium for a few years without a dormancy under at least 60W of light.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta agree with FC. I grow em outside year round here in Southen California. I live in an inland valley so temps get really hot in the Summer. Humidity is lower here than on the coastal plain (which does extend further inland than most people think). Your VFT's will thrive outside. I grow mine outside in FULL exposure. They get as much sun, wind, rain, and heat waves as any other commercial plant planted in a middle of an urban boulevard.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast