What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typical or Not?

Do you think this is a typical VFT? It is quite different from the other neighboring typical VFTs (look at first photo). I purchased them last year from a greenhouse, and when I started growing them outside this one plant produced a much brighter red coloring. Also the outside of the trap has a red lining. The plants are grown in direct sun, so all plants receive the same amount of light. What do you think?

P.S. I will take better images when it stops raining here.

question1.jpg

question2.jpg

Looks fairly typical to me. According to Bugweed, traps stop coloring up the first time they close, so those older leaves are bound to stay green. The new leaves are red because they're in stronger light. There's a lot of variation among typical VFTs, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had one that was a little redder than the others.
~Joe

Yeah, that is what I was kind of thinking. It is just that this plant is so much different from the rest.

Nice plant. As it's not a cultivar, I'd label it

Typical (red traps)

Seedjar! Wrong! Not when they first close, but when they have their first live capture, and form their leaf "stomach". At that point, no further color development will occur. As far as color is concerned, remember the pinned topics. Different stimuli (bright shade, dappled sun, etc.) may be the trigger you are looking for as far as color is concerned. Experimenting with different variables in lighting can produce startling results, or, depending on the plant, nothing at all. DANG! I LUV VFT'S!!!!!!! I DO love the ones who redden in direct sun, but they are not as easy to find as the other VFT's that take the variable sun/shade scenario.

BTW, there is nothing typical about the VFT as far as the plant is concerned. As C.D. said, its the most wonderful plant in the world.
CD= Chuckie Darwin. (Remember, Chuck?)

FORGOT! Seedjar! Make no more mistakes or the floggings will begin! Make sure of what you read before you make your statements. Otherwise, my friend, IT'S THE RACK, AND THE IRON MAIDEN (good group) FOR YOU!!!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Alvin. Forgot the meds-----------AGAIN!!!! LOL!

Here are some more closeup photos of the plant.

typ1.jpg

typ2.jpg

Hope you enjoy.  By the way I just ordered a new camera that will allow me to take better images with sharper color.

Are those new traps? Looks very nice.

They are newer, I believe they were produced when I moved the plant outside. Hard for me to say for sure.

I have some that are very dark like that. It's generally listed as "red line" when they have that lovely red stripe on the outside of the trap.
Mine have done the opposite. They arrived very dark, and are producing very pale, typical, traps in full sun outdoors.

Should put it in bright shade, ES!

Back