What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT In Illinois?

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Howdy,

I was thinking about getting a VFT to put outside, year-round. But first, I want to make sure that my plan would work.

Here's my situation.

I live in Illinois, and the winters get pretty cold, and sometimes can get below Zero. I would be using the Tray-method, and would have the plant in direct sun. When it starts to cool down, I would place the plant in a rubber-maid tub, and keep it slightly watered.

The other possible scenario follows, I would keep the plant in the same situayion as above, but instead of the rubbermaid trub method, i'd bury the plant's put underground, and place leaves on-tops of the plant, as soon as the weather starts to chill.

Which one would you recommend? Are there any other possibilities? (I don't think my garage gets sufficient light)

Thanks for your input, and time!

well Mokele's idea(the rubber maid) works for him...thats what i am going to do this year. one question though...why are you worrying about it now? winter is what like 6 months away?
alex

^ Thats what I was wondering. You got a long time till winter.^

Well, I think your good to leave them outside year round in the sun. I do that here (Texas) and my VFT's rock right on through the snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero.

I remember this past winter when one of my VFT's froze solid. My VFT was so frozen I could turn the pot upside down and the VFT could hold up the pot and the frozen media without being crushed. That VFT is alive and flowering right now. VFT's are not as weak as you might have thought.

Thanks for your replies!

The reason that I am thinking about it now, is because I do not want to get something that I cannot care for proporly, and have it die on me. I always like to think ahead.

Thanks, again!

You may want to contact AprilH and/or LauraZ5, since they live near you and have been cultivating CP's outside.

I used to live in Davenport Ia, and I would just place my plants in the garage for winter. They are still kicking to this date.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkochuni @ April 30 2006,5:35)]I used to live in Davenport Ia, and I would just place my plants in the garage for winter.  They are still kicking to this date.
My dormancy type plants I keep in buckets of minibogs and for the winter I put the buckets in the attic, as is, no fungicides, right at a window. While the temps fluctated the photoperiod continued to decline and then increase. By March, each type of plant, on their own, broke dormancy - first the sundews and then the Sarracenias. They are all outside now and sending up new growth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ April 29 2006,5:37)] I do that here (Texas) and my VFT's rock right on through the snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero.  
There is a HUUUUUUGE difference between "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Texas and "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Illinois!

smile_m_32.gif

In Texas, when they happen, those conditions last a few hours..
In Illiniois, they last many months.

GZ,
IMO, burying in the ground would be much better than the rubbermaid tub. because the ground regulates the temp a lot better, and covering with heavy mulch also provides a lot of protection..
the rubbermaid tub wouldnt provide near the same level of winter protection..

Light is a non-issue..
because the plants will be fully dormant..they need no light at all. (with the type of winter dormancy you are considering)
some people who have milder winters have VFTs that dont go as deeply dormant..those plants need some winter light..
yours wont.
My plants go in the refrigrator for 3 months ever winter, pitch black..they always live.

some people in northern climes have been keeping VFTs outside year round..it *can* be done..its still very risky IMO,
the plants simply arent adapted to that kind of winter,
and you could lose the whole collection.
HEAVY mulching seems to be the key.

Scot

Hey, thanks guys! I really appreciate this information.

Scot,
What kind of 'mulch' do you think would be best? I've read that hay insulates well.
Thanks~

try some pine needles.

I agree, pine needles would be good.
or a thick layer of leaves.
and I mean THICK! ;)
like 2 feet deep.

Scot

I'll do that, then. Thank you. I've still got a few good months... Oh, and yes I almost forgot something... The plants!
smile_n_32.gif

You could grow them if you:
A)Heavily mulch them in the winter
or
B)Bring them into a unheated shed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is a HUUUUUUGE difference between "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Texas and "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Illinois!
smile_m_32.gif

In Texas, when they happen, those conditions last a few hours..
In Illiniois, they last many months.

GZ,
IMO, burying in the ground would be much better than the rubbermaid tub. because the ground regulates the temp a lot better, and covering with heavy mulch also provides a lot of protection. the rubbermaid tub wouldnt provide near the same level of winter protection..

I agree with Mr. Chaos. A number of people have had good luck in northern climes - usually w/ heavy mulch & in-ground bogs. However, the mulch must trap dead air but let excess moisture out. If you use leaves, there's a big chance all of your VFTs will croak. Use straw or pine needles.

In zone 6 here in NJ, the majority of my VFTs left in the bog either died over the winter or early in the spring (I did not mulch). VFTs seem to be a notch or 2 more delicate than Sarracenia for overwintering.

Now I overwinter VFTs in the basement under lights. The Sarrs freeze solid in the garage and love it.

Thanks. I'll either mulch them outside, or mulch them in the garage... I wonder which would work better? I plan on using some straw.

If it is a hard freeze put them in unheated garage and mulch there if the area is still below 32 degrees.

Well, don't mulch unless it is real cold. (Note to self: not 32 degrees

Back