Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFT In Illinois?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy,

I was thinking about getting a VFT to put outside, year-round. But first, I want to make sure that my plan would work.

Here's my situation.

I live in Illinois, and the winters get pretty cold, and sometimes can get below Zero. I would be using the Tray-method, and would have the plant in direct sun. When it starts to cool down, I would place the plant in a rubber-maid tub, and keep it slightly watered.

The other possible scenario follows, I would keep the plant in the same situayion as above, but instead of the rubbermaid trub method, i'd bury the plant's put underground, and place leaves on-tops of the plant, as soon as the weather starts to chill.

Which one would you recommend? Are there any other possibilities? (I don't think my garage gets sufficient light)

Thanks for your input, and time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well Mokele's idea(the rubber maid) works for him...thats what i am going to do this year. one question though...why are you worrying about it now? winter is what like 6 months away?
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thats what I was wondering. You got a long time till winter.^

Well, I think your good to leave them outside year round in the sun. I do that here (Texas) and my VFT's rock right on through the snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero.

I remember this past winter when one of my VFT's froze solid. My VFT was so frozen I could turn the pot upside down and the VFT could hold up the pot and the frozen media without being crushed. That VFT is alive and flowering right now. VFT's are not as weak as you might have thought.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies!

The reason that I am thinking about it now, is because I do not want to get something that I cannot care for proporly, and have it die on me. I always like to think ahead.

Thanks, again!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to contact AprilH and/or LauraZ5, since they live near you and have been cultivating CP's outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in Davenport Ia, and I would just place my plants in the garage for winter. They are still kicking to this date.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jkochuni @ April 30 2006,5:35)]I used to live in Davenport Ia, and I would just place my plants in the garage for winter. They are still kicking to this date.
    My dormancy type plants I keep in buckets of minibogs and for the winter I put the buckets in the attic, as is, no fungicides, right at a window. While the temps fluctated the photoperiod continued to decline and then increase. By March, each type of plant, on their own, broke dormancy - first the sundews and then the Sarracenias. They are all outside now and sending up new growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ April 29 2006,5:37)] I do that here (Texas) and my VFT's rock right on through the snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero.
    There is a HUUUUUUGE difference between "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Texas and "snow, sleat, frozen rain and the occasional drop below zero" in Illinois!

In Texas, when they happen, those conditions last a few hours..
    In Illiniois, they last many months.

GZ,
    IMO, burying in the ground would be much better than the rubbermaid tub. because the ground regulates the temp a lot better, and covering with heavy mulch also provides a lot of protection..
    the rubbermaid tub wouldnt provide near the same level of winter protection..

Light is a non-issue..
    because the plants will be fully dormant..they need no light at all. (with the type of winter dormancy you are considering)
    some people who have milder winters have VFTs that dont go as deeply dormant..those plants need some winter light..
    yours wont.
    My plants go in the refrigrator for 3 months ever winter, pitch black..they always live.

some people in northern climes have been keeping VFTs outside year round..it *can* be done..its still very risky IMO,
    the plants simply arent adapted to that kind of winter,
    and you could lose the whole collection.
    HEAVY mulching seems to be the key.

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast