User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come help a new grower out real quick ;).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everybody,

Every since i've gotten my first Home Depot VFT i have fallen in love with them and i was thinkin of gettin a big wide and long pot for alot of VFT's. Like it wont be tall it will be short but really wide and really long and i plan on puttin alot of different various of VFT's like it was grass. So when i got my first VFT it came in its own lil pot with its dirt already and so i dont know exactly wat dirt or soil to buy to put on the big pot and i would like to have the s. moss with it too but yea can any1 explain like if i went to walmart what brand and name of a certain bag of soil i need so i could go pick it up

Also i would like to know wat other CP use the same soil type as VFT's so i can grow them 2gether

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to Lowes and get the rectangular bag of dried LFS for 4 bucks. One bag should be enough for the long pot and VFT's love it.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what you'll be looking for.

My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i should look for long fibered s. moss? a bag like that

and the plants can live alone in just that? how would i plant them i jus treat the s. moss like regular dirt? should i mix it with a little bit a dirt? and wat was the dirt that came with my VFT frome home depot?? incase i need more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure canadian Peat moss is the medium I use for all my CP. That and that alone is also sufficient. LFS WILL grow when it settles in, and can cover up a VFT with its constant growth. Peat would be better IMO.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a bag like in the pic or you can buy a bag of canadian peat like Bugweed mensioned. The peat is more "dirt like" but I hate hydrating the stuff. It's like trying to mix oil and water, just a pain IMO.

If you choose LFS then all you have to do is treat it like dirt. Spread it out in your pot, water it down, add more if needed, then add plants.

Bugweed loves peat and I love strait LFS, both will work fine so just choose one.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs are happy in

100% sphagnum moss peat
    100% live sphagnum moss
    50% sphagnum peat / 50% perlite
    50% live sphagnum moss / 50% sphagnum peat
    75% sphagnum peat / 25% washed horticultural grade lime free sharp sand

...as well as varients on these 'recipes'.

Take your pick!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    should i mix it with a little bit a dirt?
    --> No regular dirt from your yard or elsewhere
    --> No water from your house or garden (no city nor well water, use only rainwater, distilled water, reverse osmosis water)

The minerals and nutrients in the dirt/soil in your area (wherever that might be) are likely to kill your VFT (and other carnivorous plants). The same is true of the water from your house or well.

For planting medium ("soil") use a mixture from the ingredients that have already been suggested: sphagnum moss (long-fiber and/or sphagnum peat), perlite, sand (that is almost pure silica, not riverbed or ocean sand), etc. Don't use any bagged "potting soil," seed-starting mix, etc., because these frequently have ingredients added that will damage or kill Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

For water, use only collected rainwater, distilled water or water from reverse osmosis. When buying distilled water, be careful to avoid "drinking water" or any other kind of bottled water. Get only pure distilled water with nothing else added.

Enjoy your plants--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast