What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf burn

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey,
i moved my VFTs form my terrarium to out side last week and the leaves are starting to burn! im guessing its natural because of the light intensity change. i wanted them to go outside because i wanted them to color up nicely. will the leaves that come up later start to burn or will the plant get used to it? i just lost a vft because it was in a terrarium then i put it outside and the leaves burned like crazy! the traps still worked so i kept them on there but they started to rot and it spread to the bulb which made it slowly rot... and to make it worse there were fungus gnat larva inside of it! and upon closer inspection there were no roots at all! so i learned that is the leaves are badly burned....CUT THEM OFF!
thanks
alex

I would stick 'em under a tree or somethin to diffuse the sun. If they still burn put them on a shaded porch untill they get used to the temps. Don't worry to much though, they can handle very hot weather.

well they are on a porch that gets full sun from around 12pm or so til around 6pm. i might take them off the porch and put them behind a bush.
thanks
alex

I say, let them burn..
its better for the plant to have as much light as you can give it..
I dont believe in this "acclimate them slowly" buisness..dont really see the point..all it does is create a lot of extra work for you, and IMO it makes no difference to the plants..new leaves can take the bright sun without burning, and its much better for the plant as a whole if those new leaves emerge *into* that bright direct light..they cant do that if you are babying the plant.. ;)

see this post for more thoughts on sunburn:

old sunburn link

Scot

thanks Scotty!
i looked at my plants today and......the new trap has opened! AND ITS RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so happy! the base of the leaves are also turning red
smile.gif
cant wait to see what the future holds!
alex

I stuck mine straight from in door lighting to the out side Florida sun. They loved it. The mian thing is to have them in many bogs. In pots the soil heats up way too fast and also dries out too quickly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ][Outdoors] In pots the soil heats up way too fast and also dries out too quickly.

Boy is that ever true (in some or many locations)! Another alternative (to minibogs) is to plant them in insulated pots, like the very lightweight polyurethane foam planters now available.
smile.gif

Back