User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing this OK?????--Help needed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Hello everyone. I bought 2 VFT's about 2.5 weeks ago and was wondering if all I am doing is ok...

I have both of them in a terrarium. there is an inch of perlite at the bottom and a 2in layer of 60% peat and 40% perlite at the top. I have only had to clip a couple of traps that turned balck, and several new ones have formed. I lightly mist once a day to keep the moss moist and to keep humidity up. I have them under a bright 30W house bulb for about 7.5 hrs per day.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (joossa @ May 09 2006,9:02)]Hello everyone. I bought 2 VFT's about 2.5 weeks ago and was wondering if all I am doing is ok...

I have both of them in a terrarium. there is an inch of perlite at the bottom and a 2in layer of 60% peat and 40% perlite at the top. I have only had to clip a couple of traps that turned balck, and several new ones have formed. I lightly mist once a day to keep the moss moist and to keep humidity up. I have them under a bright 30W house bulb for about 7.5 hrs per day.
    I would increase the photoperiod to 15 hours a day and use a 42 watt CFL from Home Depot. Also, humidity is not important for healthy VFT growth. Light is more important.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I also stumbled upon this while reading about winter dormancy... its it acceptable/ok to use when winter comes??

If you live in a place with winters that are too cold (i.e. frosts are common) or too hot (i.e. southern Florida, Malaysia, Hawaii) then your winters will not be appropriate for a Venus Flytrap. In this case, you will have to provide an artificial chilly winter. Since I grow my Venus Flytraps in terraria, I fall into this category. Each fall I put each plant and its pot into a plastic baggie and store it in a refrigerator (NOT FREEZER!). About two or three months is sufficient. After this, the plants will grow just fine for another season. Sunlight is not crucial during this refrigerator dormancy, because it is like a deeper kind of dormancy. I frankly do not think this is quite as good as the normal, sunlit dormancy I described above (since my plants rarely flower) but it is an acceptable alternative.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live? You might want to grow them outside if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can follow that, or you can let them go a few years without a dormancy. Wont hurt them, but what will hurt them is the 30w house bulb. Get a 30-45w compact florecent bulb and stick it within 6 inches of the plants. Dont worry about humidity at all.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You live in Southern Cal and you are growing in a terrarium????? WHY???????????
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I also wonder about people who grow VFTs in terrariums or are careful to mist them frequently.

Even here in New Mexico, US, where the humidity is zero (well, almost), I have never grown VFTs in terrariums nor misted them. It seems overly fussy and is completely unnecessary. They do fine in the open, moving fresh air and lots of sunlight. And the medium only needs to be moist, not constantly saturated or soggy, although VFTs seem to tolerate waterlogged conditions pretty well too.
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, would you guys feel it's necessary to harden off a VFT bought from Lowes? Or can it go straight to being uncovered right away?

johnny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast