What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

has anyone ever seen a bug *survive* a VFT?

cause i threw this tick into a trap six hours ago and it's still moving... how long does it take the juices to set in?!!

although the plant was just repotted yesterday... perhaps it's not producing enzymes? the trap is sealed and everything, but that little bugger is still trying to escape... if it's still moving tomorrow i will be royally freaked out ;) i knew they were aliens. next it'll be dunked in a nice nepenthes goo bath, let's see it escape THAT.

<- loathes ticks

There are insects that chew their way out of the traps.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ticks are amazingly resilient. Give it a few more days
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ May 16 2006,3:48)]There are insects that chew their way out of the traps.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I have seen the pupae stage of critters chew or muscle their way out of a trap.

Keep us posted, Heather!

Boll weavils are very tough. A trap of mine had closed and the weavil was muscling it open and chewing his way out of the side of the trap.

I've seen bugs escape from a trap before. But any that get caught firmly eventually die.

bees and wasps chew out of sarrs so i dont see how they couldnt here... i fed mine a Cuckoo Wasp one time. their stingers are very wiered as the are flexible and can move into shaps at will. the stinger punctued the side of the trap a couple of times but then died. a bumble bee was caught in my S. Judith Finn last year and the singer punctured the wall of the trap.
alex

yet another home invader (found this guy on the wall)... VFTs are a much more interesting way to dispose of ticks than the traditional methods
smile.gif
(a bit cleaner than some of them too...) i live in the tick capitol of the east coast here so i'll be seeing these guys aaaallll summer... hope the plants are hungry...

flytraptick5-19-05_002.jpg

Don't worry the vft will squeeze the life out of the tick.I have fed mine 2 or 3 ticks and when the vft opens the ticks are just like every other poor soul who get captured.Dry and life-less.

Back