Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dormancy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are depending upon sunlight, that will happen naturally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 19 2006,5:02)]When people think of dormancy, they naturally think in terms of providing cold. If I had to draw a pie chart of dormancy factors and attach a few round numbers in terms of percentages, I would put photoperiod at 70 %, followed by temperature at 25 %, and the rest as moisture & food supply. Reduced light is the biggie.
    It seems like diminishing daylight would be an important factor to induce or initiate dormancy, but after a VFT becomes dormant, wouldn't the chill requirement gain greater importance in maintaining dormancy for the usual several months?
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave your VFT outside all the time and it will do its own thing. It'll go dormant at the right time and wake up in spring with nothing for you to do but watch and water

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ May 19 2006,4:45)]Leave your VFT outside all the time and it will do its own thing. It'll go dormant at the right time and wake up in spring with nothing for you to do but watch and water
    Ok but if it dies outside during winter cause I followed your directions I want a free ping. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also very concerned about this as I live in South Florida (winter somewhat cold at night, 30s maybe, usually 50s, daytime easy back up to 70s 80s, so it never really gets cold here even compared to the 'Florida panhandle' sense of winter) and i do not have room to refrigerate all my vfts. On the one hand I am being told that vfts dont really need cold for dormancy and simply reducing watering and moving to a shadier area will be sufficient, however I have also been told (this weekend and by a vft supplier no less) that I am almost guaranteed to lose all my vfts if I try that. Anyone care to comment and give me even more to worry about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 19 2006,7:02)]When people think of dormancy, they naturally think in terms of providing cold. If I had to draw a pie chart of dormancy factors and attach a few round numbers in terms of percentages, I would put photoperiod at 70 %, followed by temperature at 25 %, and the rest as moisture & food supply. Reduced light is the biggie.
    how would i reduce the photoperiod? Where my plants are outside they get sun most of the day but for parts of the day the shade of my house or the shade of the big tree we have in our yard covers them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live much further south in Florida than you do up in the panhandle. I leave my plants out all year and they are fine, they go dormant at the correct time and "wake up" in the spring. I am in zone 9b, therefore I would assume you are probably in zone 8.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast